Mushy chick?

chelseachook

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
QLD, Australia
Hi, so 2 of the 3 eggs my hens sat on hatched yesterday, however this morning I had to place one into my incubator because it had been stepped on. It had already internally pipped and no blood was lost so I didn't think much of it. I did have to assist a bit because it was shrink wrapped, but it hatched on it's own 20 minutes ago. I noticed that its abdomen is swollen and discolored and the navel is out. Is this mushy chick disease or am I paranoid?
Side note: the other chicks are fine and I washed my hands before picking it up, not touching the abdomen.
Thanks for listening, I am so s 20210921_143404.jpg 20210921_143412.jpg tressed out.

Not sure. I didn’t even know this was a thing!🤷🏽‍♀️ But here is a helpful article (if you haven’t already seen it!😉)-
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis.64686/

Here is a quote I pulled out about some (possible) treatments-
“A few suggestions for treatment are to clean the navel area with iodine several times a day. I have also used Veterycin gel spray. Freshen up water with multi vitamins or Save-A-Chick daily. Watch brooder temperatures as Chilling & overheating may increase losses at this stage. Isolate chick from others to prevent spread of bacteria and avoid pecking injuries.
Keep the brooder as clean and fresh as possible. Keep in mind that it may be wiser to humanely destroy the more severely affected chicks.”

Not sure. I didn’t even know this was a thing!🤷🏽‍♀️ But here is a helpful article (if you haven’t already seen it!😉)-
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis.64686/

Here is a quote I pulled out about some (possible) treatments-
“A few suggestions for treatment are to clean the navel area with iodine several times a day. I have also used Veterycin gel spray. Freshen up water with multi vitamins or Save-A-Chick daily. Watch brooder temperatures as Chilling & overheating may increase losses at this stage. Isolate chick from others to prevent spread of bacteria and avoid pecking injuries.
Keep the brooder as clean and fresh as possible. Keep in mind that it may be wiser to humanely destroy the more severely affected chicks.”
Thank you. I have cleaned the area with betadine and at this point I am just going to wait and see as I am not sure if the chick has actual has an infection

Thank you. I have cleaned the area with betadine and at this point I am just going to wait and see as I am not sure if the chick has actual has an infection
Yeah if it actually is mushy chick disease it looks pretty minor (compared to some of those on the article). I wish you good luck!❤️ Keep us updated!😬

Back
Top Bottom