Musing on the Fall Culling

So, thinking over my criteria,
4. Age -- I won't progress my flock if I don't replace the older birds with the next generation.
Agree, except:
--it's only true if the next generation are better than the older birds. Otherwise, you could make "progress" in the wrong direction.

--if you want to breed for longevity, then you should keep each bird just as long as it continues to perform well. That way you'll end up hatching the most chicks from the ones that perform well for the most years. (Whether you care about longevity is up to you. I'm only commenting about what to do IF you care.)

But I just fell for these Australorps
I did too! Love-love-love the blue color. But the "blue Australorps" I got last year don't really look blue, and might not be Aussies. So I don't know what to do. I do know I want to have a self-sustaining flock, so for now, barnyard mutts is all I could possibly have. I'd be happy with nice, pretty birds.

And I'll admire your flock. :)

it's only true if the next generation are better than the older birds. Otherwise, you could make "progress" in the wrong direction.

I'm going to be taking pictures over the next week or so to show people. I've got some really lovely, dark blue pullets with really nice lacing coming up to POL.

--if you want to breed for longevity, then you should keep each bird just as long as it continues to perform well. That way you'll end up hatching the most chicks from the ones that perform well for the most years. (Whether you care about longevity is up to you. I'm only commenting about what to do IF you care.)

I haven't really considered how much I do or don't care about longevity.

4. Age -- I won't progress my flock if I don't replace the older birds with the next generation.

I haven't really considered how much I do or don't care about longevity.

Not easy is it? To get what you want you need to know what you want. So you list out your goals. Excellent start. But your goals can change, mine did. Or something happens. "That hen went broody so she stays even if she is not what I want!" The more goals you have or the more traits you are breeding for the harder it is. Sometimes you have to choose one that fails certain traits because they have other traits you want. Some may be counter. You want to progress your flock but if one of your goals is longevity you have to wait years before you decide which chickens can breed.

I'm not going to offer any suggestions; your flock, your goals, your choices. I will offer sympathy, I know it can be hard. Maybe another case where romance meets reality, you can only do so much.

To get what you want you need to know what you want. So you list out your goals. Excellent start. But your goals can change, mine did

Yes, mine already have changed. I started out with the intent to have a diverse flock. :D

I'm not going to offer any suggestions; your flock, your goals, your choices. I will offer sympathy, I know it can be hard. Maybe another case where romance meets reality, you can only do so much.

I appreciate the sentiment.

Sometimes for me just "talking out loud" helps solidify things. :)

well, longevity can be a plus point when not keeping the birds to the bitter end.
A hen that slowed in production might still be a super producer for somebody else, and parting sooner gives the new owner a better yield.

But it's tricky, I bet.

Yes.

I'm tempted to keep the California White -- my MACHINE for the laying of big, white eggs -- because her slowdown is better than some chickens peak production.

Back
Top Bottom