Must-Have and Underrated Coop Features

Demonwolf37

Songster
6 Years
May 21, 2016
Wisconsin
I'm going through bit of a rough few months, and when that happens it helps me to hyperfixate on some hopeful aspect of the future - in this case building my dream coop one day.

So while I'm thinking about and redesigning my dream coop in my head again, I figure I'd ask the community for some features that are must-have or underrated or underutilized.

With my current coop as the point of reference, a walk in coop with enough space for deep litter is a must for sure, so I'm designing with that in mind.

-

Also, from an aesthetic stand point, considering the immense need for proper ventilation, can a gable (^ shaped) roof still provide proper ventilation, or does it need to be a slope (/ shaped) roof? Is there a way to vent a gable roof properly for chickens?

I figure I'd ask the community for some features that are must-have or underrated or underutilized.
Some of my personal preferences:

I like the ability to divide the coop, to allow separate breeding groups, or brooding chicks in one section, or a broody hen, or isolate one that was injured or bullied, and so forth.

I've never had a poop board, and probably never will. I would rather let the droppings get mixed into the litter on the floor, rather than having to scoop something every day.

I like hanging feeders (the round tube kind), because they can be adjusted up or down as the chickens change size and the litter changes depth.

I like roost height to be between my waist and my shoulders. Lower bumps my legs and/or makes me trip, higher either bumps my head or is too high to reach the chickens. I also prefer not to lean over or under one roost to get chickens on a roost that is further away.

I have a strong preference for walk-in coops, with enough height that the litter can be piled deep without making me bump my head.

I also like a board across each door to keep the litter in, but it needs to be easy to remove at cleaning time (one screw in each end worked well enough.)

I like enough space to clean it out without bumping the handle of my rake (or other tool) on the walls. For a coop 4x8 feet, putting the door at the very end of one long side was not a good choice. The slightly-too-short roof didn't help either.

Also, from an aesthetic stand point, considering the immense need for proper ventilation, can a gable (^ shaped) roof still provide proper ventilation, or does it need to be a slope (/ shaped) roof? Is there a way to vent a gable roof properly for chickens?

Yes, it can be vented with a ridge vent, gable vents under a generous overhang, or with a monitor.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

draft-free-png.3154816

As for must-haves, in my climate it's the vented nest boxes that you can see in my hot climate article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

And lots and lots of elbow room.

I consider divided space inside the building to be a must-have. In my case, I have the chicken area and an area that doubles as storage for chicken stuff and storage for garden stuff. My favorite parts of it is being able to open the doors without worrying about escapees and being able to set things down outside the chicken area but inside (out of the weather).

I really like my poop board... the space under it has been fenced off and can be used as a sick/isolation/integration area. I have chickies that will be moving in there soon.
How do you mean the area under the poop board? How high up is it off the ground?

I LOVE my poop boards!!!!!!!! I also have it that I can block off my poop boards to use it as a brooder for chicks. Mine are about 19" up from the bottom of the coop. I have heavy breed chickens so have it lower for them with jumping (Cochins and Brahma's and read lower is better for them). I love my nest boxes open from the outside and the side opens not the top, but I would have done a bigger overhang on them.

Back
Top Bottom