Must-Have and Underrated Coop Features

With my current coop as the point of reference, a walk in coop with enough space for deep litter is a must for sure, so I'm designing with that in mind.
Not just enough room for deep litter but enough room in there for you to be able to work and have some extra room for flexibility if something happens.

I made a couple of my nests so I could lock a hen in there if I needed to. That's come in handy for several different things.

I have electricity in the coop so I built in a 3' x 6' brooder under my droppings board. It's elevated and has a 1/2" hardware floor. The droppings fall straight through and are easy to clean, plus it keeps the brooder very dry. If I need a solid floor, say it is kind of cold, I put in a piece of plywood to cover the wire. With the wire floor it serves as a broody buster when it is not in use as a brooder. I can use it to isolate a chicken if I need to. With deep litter you probably don't need a droppings board but something to help manage the chickens can be really helpful.

I integrate a lot of chicks. I put a juvenile roost, lower than the main roosts, horizontally separated from the main roosts, and higher than the nests so the juveniles have a place to sleep that is not my nests.

My main suggestion, build it for your comfort and convenience, don't worry too much about the chickens. If you are comfortable in there they should do well.

I don't need a tall coop for me to stand in, but I do like easy access to the nests from the outside. If accessing from the outside, make sure you can use both hands to collect eggs and not have to hold up the door with one of your hands.
OP lives in COLD (snow) country, so be sure that if you access the eggs from the outside that you're not allowing moisture and drafts to seep in; and of course you'll need to predator proof that entry point as well. Raccoons are just as sneaky and as crafty as a two-legged predator (humans), when it comes to getting a free meal.

How do you mean the area under the poop board? How high up is it off the ground?
Like junior67, we have heavy birds. Our poop board is 24" off the floor and there is a ramp.

Attachments

• 20220625_142052.jpg
    20220625_142052.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
I insist on removeable boards at thresholds of doors to keep the litter in, removeable for easy cleanout or to wheel in heavy stuff with wheelbarrow or dollie. You can stack the number of boards as litter gets deeper.

I'd also prefer the door to open out and be raised a bit also because the ground outside gets uneven sometimes or extra straw, rocks, etc. can bind up the door swinging.

Speaking to those in hot climates, I believe open air coops are a way underrated feature/option. I think the first image that comes to mind when envisioning a chicken coop is a 4-sided solid structure, but in so many areas it doesn't need to be totally solid (or at least not solid at all times). I live in a mountainous desert area where summers are 100+ degrees and winters will get below freezing, so one wall of my coop (inside the fully secured run) was made removable to become an open air coop in the summer but can still be enclosed during harsh winters. When designing this coop I also thought 4 solid walls were needed, but when we move off this mountain my next coop will definitely be fully open air!

Back
Top Bottom