Must-Have and Underrated Coop Features

Speaking to those in hot climates, I believe open air coops are a way underrated feature/option. I think the first image that comes to mind when envisioning a chicken coop is a 4-sided solid structure, but in so many areas it doesn't need to be totally solid (or at least not solid at all times). I live in a mountainous desert area where summers are 100+ degrees and winters will get below freezing, so one wall of my coop (inside the fully secured run) was made removable to become an open air coop in the summer but can still be enclosed during harsh winters. When designing this coop I also thought 4 solid walls were needed, but when we move off this mountain my next coop will definitely be fully open air!

I love my open air coop!

Through a combination of careful design and good fortune, inside the coop is the coolest place in the yard on blistering hot days.

Speaking to those in hot climates, I believe open air coops are a way underrated feature/option. I think the first image that comes to mind when envisioning a chicken coop is a 4-sided solid structure, but in so many areas it doesn't need to be totally solid (or at least not solid at all times). I live in a mountainous desert area where summers are 100+ degrees and winters will get below freezing, so one wall of my coop (inside the fully secured run) was made removable to become an open air coop in the summer but can still be enclosed during harsh winters. When designing this coop I also thought 4 solid walls were needed, but when we move off this mountain my next coop will definitely be fully open air!
Yes - open air is the best - and I use a UV stable clear obscure woven tarp-like 'ground cover' (got a 300' x 6' roll clearance years ago) stapled or screwed/battened to a wire WALL in winter in direction of worst winds. I can remove it seasonally if needed.

For super-hot areas, a double roof helps too, one roof built about 12 inches higher than the other. Causes a shade barrier between the two roofs that dramatically reduces the temperature below.

For super-hot areas, a double roof helps too, one roof built about 12 inches higher than the other. Causes a shade barrier between the two roofs that dramatically reduces the temperature below.

The caveat here being that there needs to be a free flow of air between the two roofs for maximum effectiveness. :)

I love my open air coop!

Through a combination of careful design and good fortune, inside the coop is the coolest place in the yard on blistering hot days.
Yours is a fantastic example of how perfect an open air coop can be, in design and functionality!

Yes - open air is the best - and I use a UV stable clear obscure woven tarp-like 'ground cover' (got a 300' x 6' roll clearance years ago) stapled or screwed/battened to a wire WALL in winter in direction of worst winds. I can remove it seasonally if needed.
I also had clear plastic along the west run wall to block constant winds and it was such a blessing not just for the chickens, but also for the poor sap (me) that had to be out there taking care of things!

That is a great idea! I'm lucky to have a large oak tree shading this coop almost all day, but I bet I won't be as lucky with my next coop so I'll definitely have to consider a double roof feature.

I'm going through bit of a rough few months, and when that happens it helps me to hyperfixate on some hopeful aspect of the future - in this case building my dream coop one day.

So while I'm thinking about and redesigning my dream coop in my head again, I figure I'd ask the community for some features that are must-have or underrated or underutilized.

With my current coop as the point of reference, a walk in coop with enough space for deep litter is a must for sure, so I'm designing with that in mind.

-

Also, from an aesthetic stand point, considering the immense need for proper ventilation, can a gable (^ shaped) roof still provide proper ventilation, or does it need to be a slope (/ shaped) roof? Is there a way to vent a gable roof properly for chickens?
We have an automated water system. Best addition ever!

We have a 100 gallon goldfish pond that is filled with a float valve from a 300 gallon rain barrel. The pond pump pumps the filtered water through pvc into an in-line trough in the chicken pen. It has been amazing to not have to refill dirty water buckets constantly. We still keep a bucket of fresh water in the pen during the summer and when we are gone all day (other seasons) just in case the pump or electricity goes out.

Poop board: Depends on how many chickens you have. If you have just a handful (our city law limits us to 6), poop boards are wonderful - I've had the same shavings on the floor of an 8'x10' coop for two years, and there is hardly a doo-doo mixed in - I can't foresee ever having to change it out. If you have a lot of chickens, I'd think cleaning up a lot of scat as a routine would sucketh - unless you have the time; then the deep litter method would probably be best with no poo boards.

Automatic closing door - I love it - but I also have to trust it, which is the only con.

I'll keep mine to two. :)

I do a thinner layer of litter about 2 inches, no poop board, and a cheap rubber mat below the litter it’s my must have. My coop is about 4x4, and come cleaning I just treat the mat like a taco, pull it out the door and dump it. Makes like a lot easier than trying to scrape it out -assuming it’sa smaller coop.

Back
Top Bottom