Mute gosling?

fowltemptress

Frugal Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Nope
One of my new goslings, Hobbes, won't make a noise, at all. I thought she was just a quiet gosling, but I started getting suspicious because of how absolutely silent she's been, and because I noticed her doing things that looked like she should be talking, but no sound was coming out. I separated the two goslings for a few moments, putting them in different rooms. Cuddy was cheeping up a storm for me, but Hobbes was dead silent. I've spent almost every moment with them today, listening for any sound from Hobbes, but there's nothing. Could I have a mute goose, or is this something normal and there are goslings who don't talk for a while?

She acts perfectly healthy, so I'm not concerned with that at all and feel no need to post it in the emergencies thread. It just seems a bit strange to me, and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Not dure maybe her vocal cords didnt develop correctly .. i havent heard of Mute Goose before but it wouldnt suprise me.. I would be curious to see how she interacts with the other birds as she gets older..

To bad it is not genetic. You could start selling geese for people that live in the city. It will be interesting to see what she is like as an adult. Usually they are so loud. I wonder if she could still hiss. Keep us updated.

Hobbes still isn't talking. I don't know if Cuddy thinks anything much of her brooder-mate's silence, but I don't remember how goslings interact normally . . . they seem to get along normal to me. It did occur to me at some point, though, that Hobbes was lucky she was sent to me. I was thinking it was possible that she might have been made an outcast in a larger group of geese, but since I only have two that won't be an issue. Poor things have an owner who is practically smothering them with affection, though. I forgot how nice it was to have baby poultry who actually enjoyed being messed with.
smile.png

The only mute bird I can think of is the EB White book, Trumpet of the Swan. No advice though. Glad they interact normally.

Last edited:
Quote:
I haven't heard a mute goose either
tongue.png
Yes I know that was a bad joke
tongue.png

Oh, that was funny.
smile.png
I can't believe everyone missed the opportunity for that joke before you.

Back
Top Bottom