1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mute Quail chick???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Quailer21, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Quailer21

Quailer21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Jupiter, Florida
    one of my coturnix quail chicks is making the motion of peeping but no sound comes out of his mouth???

2. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    maybe he could be choking????? but its not cutting off his water and food supply to himself???? not sure????

3. Quailer21

Aug 24, 2011
    Jupiter, Florida
    He eats and drinks but it is like he is on mute. He is always trying to make noise but he can't.

4. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Quote:Maybe it's just a quirk? [​IMG] If it doesn't seem to be doing him any harm, then it's okay. Would be interesting to see if he stays mute when he grows to adulthood, though [​IMG]

5. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    Sometimes the chicks do that. They stretch and make warbling looking motions with their throats but no sounds come out, at least none that we can hear, I guess.

As an experiment, you could try separating him from the group for 2 minutes. I've found that separated chicks often make chirping noises. The, "I'm lost!" chirps.

Alternately, they hunker down and stay really quiet. Another instinctive reaction to being separated.

I currently have quail that do both. Curious George will make a racket if separated from the flock. He always has. I predicted he was a boy from the start because he always seemed to be the chick in charge and looked out for everyone else. Houdini totally disappears and stays quiet and hides. She never makes a peep. She's every roo's favorite and has a bald head to prove it, so when she's hiding, I let her be. I figure she deserves the break.

6. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Quote:yep. all my birds do it. the males usually do it and it looks like a rooster crowing (quails and chickens) but no sound comes out. i think it's a yawnn [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Quailer21

Aug 24, 2011
    Jupiter, Florida
    Thanks

8. Quailer21

Aug 24, 2011
    Jupiter, Florida
    Do they do it obsessively? Like mine?

9. Quailer21