1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muticus.... Cristatus.

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Dany12, Feb 11, 2016.

1. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

The plight of the domesticated peafowl and the diet they are forced to eat, SOY! In the wild they are tall and lean healthy birds.

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho

I hope that is the case. I know that people will kill peacocks for their feathers. I see it in the fly fishing trade. I'm hoping that when fly fishers start choosing feathers like mine it will cut off part of the market where the peacock is only used for feathers. I can understand with predators being killed but at least use as much of the animal as possible don't let it go to waste. Just as I kill mice and I don't eat them but I give them to my cats that way they are still being used not just a waste. That's just my belief. I believe there are only 3 reasons to kill: food, protection, and to end pain. I do remember reading how the peacock is India's national bird and I thought they were protected in India. Also the culture peafowl have been a part of is interesting. The poacher thing makes it almost sound like they were cursed for tasting the meat of a holy animal.

3. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I just saw on TV what I was thinking about - in Africa they have a program where they give livestock owners a trained Anatolian Shepherd dog and it defends the livestock from cheetahs. Many of the livestock owners given dogs haven't had predator issues since.

Luckily I have been noticing that some artists/designers are starting to realize that some feathers are obtained by way of harming or killing the bird. I have noticed people making the effort to seek out feathers that have been naturally shed. Hopefully more people will support those that sell cruelty free feathers.

What I find disturbing is taxidermists go to livestock auctions and will buy a bunch of peacocks so that they can kill them and turn them into taxidermy. Those poor birds. Then I see these fashion photographs with a model holding a peacock and people comment how amazing it is that the model is holding a peacock, but when I look at it I can tell that the bird is stuffed. The latest one I saw the bird had blue metal rods coming out of the bottom of its feet, yet people didn't seem to realize that!
    This isn't the best example, but you can tell that bird isn't alive.
    [​IMG]

4. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
  5. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I'm not the only one that thinks that this taxidermy job isn't that impressive anyway correct? It would've been more impressive if it was alive in my opinion. I'm betting that half are actually doing it because they finally got educated and others are just doing it for the popularity.
    I can't imagine how many peacocks that took, how long that took to make that outfit, how many feathers that took. It's not really that great of an outfit. Most people would use the train feathers not the train coverts. I've been half tempted to try and do an educational news thing on peafowl molting their feathers naturally but I'm thinking on waiting until my Colbolt starts molting to show that it's true.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  6. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I find that it is very rare to see a well done taxidermy of a peacock. They always have such a strange pose and their face normally looks very strange. There are usually several things wrong with a taxidermy peacock. The funny thing is peacocks make such elegant poses, but most taxidermy ones are making the weirdest pose that isn't very elegant. A live one would be more impressive, but I wonder how many models would be willing to hold a live bird.
    Check out these peacock mounts - there necks are really bent - Also, they are calling the white ones rare! I hope the pied one died of natural causes because that bird is so stunning it would be a shame if he was killed to be on a wall.
    http://taxidermychick.com/Peacocks.htm

Feathers and clothing don't mix that well. It is so easy to mess up feathers, I can just imagine how careful you would have to be with a coat like that. I picture just sitting down with it on you would mess up the feathers on the butt portion. Buttoning it you could mess up feathers unless if those buttons are actually snap buttons. If you get caught in the rain in that jacket, that is bad as well.

7. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    That's why it's best to not make an entire article of clothing out of feathers. I have alternate feathers in my hat. Rather it will be the primary of an IB or White. Secondary the black or barred or white and tail feather from an IB. I don't use the train feathers in my hat. I have made some writing quills with them. They write very well. I need to make some more and take some pictures to share. I've only seen one good taxidermy and that's at a local Wal Mart. It's an IB split to Black Shoulder. It's perched on a branch looking down. It's done very well.

8. barkerg

barkerg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    I would love to see the wal mart mount as I have yet to see a good pea mount. They usually mess up the body shape and the head always looks like its been in a knife fight.

Gerald Barker

9. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Hahahaha! I don't understand what happens to the neck. When I go to Wal Mart again I will take a picture and post it.

10. Frenchman Creek

Frenchman Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

I am having a hard time determining what this thread Is trying to articulate. Is Dany12 protesting the killing of peacocks or the wasting of peacocks after they die? I saw nothing that said they were being wasted. I also saw nothing that said feathers used were taken cruelly from the birds nor was anything said that the feathers used from dead birds were the only thing used and the meat was thrown away. I did see a forum member was disturbed that some adult males were killed to make taxidermy mounts and I agree it would be totally wrong to kill anything that was alive just to use taxidermy to make it look alive however the article never said the lady taxidermist did not eat the meat from the birds before doing taxidermy on them. If she ate the meat then it would be no different than chickens being killed at 49 days so we all can have buffalo wings or a Holstein bull calf being killed at six weeks old so we can have veal and the skin made into our pocket books, wallets, shoes , coats etch. As for the quote that taxidermist line up at the auctions to buy birds to kill and then taxidermy is highly unlikely as it is doubtful that auctions would have beautiful adult males coming up for auction. With taxidermied peacocks selling on eBay for between two thousand to four thousand dollars each I would assume a purchase of a beautiful mature peacock on any Craigslist for $150 dollars would be way more practical than an auction. So I just see this as a political opinion thread. Maybe others could enlighten me as to what I missed in all those links. FC.
    ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by