Mutt chicken.. . gender please? Update # 24!

I know everyone else is saying roo, but I'm gonna say pullet because I have some just a bit older than that and I'm pretty sure they are pullets. They are all mutts too and have combs like that. Both mom and dad to these have very large, very red combs. I believe if it was a roo it would have more rooish feather characteristics.

Quote:
Yay. I was starting to think I was completely crazy. I think it's a pullet too. But heck what do I know. I guess we will see when he crows or she lays an egg.

Cockerel. That is a VERY red and large comb for 11 weeks. My barred rock hens have large red combs but didn't grow those until well after they started laying; until they laid their combs were probably the size of your chick's (or smaller), and pale pink.

Your chick looks like a BR mix - if that's the case, the light color may also be indicative that it's a roo.

I don't believe saddle or hackle feathers come in until well after this. My kids are 12 weeks and going through a crazy juvenile molt right now, and many of their feathers are coming back differently.

Well I came back for an update.... This bird is now 5 months old and today we had a new egg.... Pink egg! Since "he" is in with 3 month old Cochins and a trio of bantams.... "he" must be a "she" and "she" lays pink eggs! unless a hawk came by and left us a friendly egg for the day... Can't figure out where else the pink egg could be from. It's never made a sound. Very skiddish, scared of EVERyTHInG, even the baby Cochins and bantams (which is why whimpy or "grey thing" as we so lovingly call her, is in with them.

Sooooo fat legs and red combs dont always mean roo.

7fc3a89c.jpg

Thanks for guessing!
smile.png

Last edited:
lol pic just showed up...can you get a clearer one please later? those hackles really look rooish to hmmmm...pretty pink egg from her

Last edited:
I was posting 1...
smile.png
. I was convinced he was a he.... Cause the feathers around its neck look so long... But when u pick it up they are about like my buff brama hens.... Gonna wait for a 2nd egg, but since we left at 5am for a family function out of town today they were all up all day. I was who put them up last night and let them out today when we got home. The egg was there. I have a pic of it too....

b77a5493.jpg

These are a couple of other eggs from today. Silkie and my bb and bb/Orpington mix. My only other things currently laying is an ee that isn't laying because of cold, she lays green... My 2 silkies. One Cochin started a couple of weeks ago and random rare eggs from our silver duckling Phoenix.... Sooooo except my young Cochins a young silkie and babies in the garage.... I dunno *shrug*. That's certainly not a first bbred egg. Lol.

Last edited:
hmmmm nanny cam lol she really does look like a rooster maybe she has a gender disagreement feathers want to say roo but over all gender says hen
gig.gif

No idea.... But we have never had that color egg. Even if one of my hens had been in there yesterday.... Do hens change color eggs they lay? We always have tan, one is tan fading to cream on the other end and green from our big layers. Well then the 2 duckwing hens but they have cream almost white eggs that are pointy looking.... So I dunno??

I was thinking Pullet as well because my BR hen at 11 weeks had a decent sized red comb.... so if its a BR cross why can't it be a pullet, funny your pink egg looks exactly like my pink EE egg from this girl Fileen.....sometimes it has very small white speckles

81831_fileeneframed.jpg

Back
Top Bottom