Mutt possibilities?

Quote:
Yes good question!?!? I am looking all over the internet trying to find out about genetics. Is there any specific book any of you recommend? Thanks ~R

Quote:
Yes good question!?!? I am looking all over the internet trying to find out about genetics. Is there any specific book any of you recommend? Thanks ~R

No I've never used and books for genetics and stuff, its just really easy for me to pic up on and once you learn the basics its pretty easy to apply intuitively to most situations and I have had experience with a lot of it.

Quote:

No I've never used and books for genetics and stuff, its just really easy for me to pic up on and once you learn the basics its pretty easy to apply intuitively to most situations and I have had experience with a lot of it.

Ditto, and the site Kippenjungle really helps.

just about all of my mutts turn out black, but I do have a frizzle chick that is black and white like my silverlaced cochins , but they had to get that from the mutt roo that I have because the only frizzle I have is a buff cochin.It is a very good looking frizzle though All black and white I'll have to go out and take a pic later

Thanks for the website, that is great! I guess I just have to read through all the posts and ask all you experienced folk all sorts of questions!

Here it is... SO I just (very recently) had a little breeding "oops." I have a Salmon Faverolles rooster that I wanted to breed to my SF females. I am new to chickens but all the literature said SF lay creamy/ tint colored eggs. Well I had a little hen go broody so I gave her some "SF" eggs to sit on... well the little booger hatched out and it was black with a creamy underbelly and a white dot on his head. NOT what my SF looked like as chicks lol! So I have a couple other breeds in there. Most are brown egg laying, Brahama, Buff orp, black sex link, and a "light brown" egg laying Speckled Sussex as well as a polish but I'm pretty sure her eggs are the little white ones I'm getting. So I think it may be the Speckled Sussex . Any ideas on what the coloring will be on the chick when it gets older? I will post some pics this afternoon. Thanks ~R

Ok here are some pics of my little mutt

here is the daddy. Salmon Faverolles "Mossy" and the only rooster on the property...
48419_mossy.jpg

here is the hen I thought layed the egg Salmon Faverolles hen
48419_salfav.jpg

and here is the Chick... not a slamon faverolles but it does have 5 toes and featherd legs. hatched 11/7/10
48419_chick1.jpg

48419_chichead.jpg

in this head picture you can see the little white spot. It has slightly faded as it got older.
48419_chick2.jpg

and here is the one that I think is the mother... Speckled Sussex hen
48419_ss.jpg

Thanks guys... I hope the pics are alright. The chick was not cooperating at all!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom