1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    Like in every specie, mutts are looked upon as inferior, or not desirable. but I know many of you have some that are great layers, or at least consistent. show-em off!!! I'm sure you're proud of them. [​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I disagree with your statement that mutts of every species are considered inferior. Many people prefer mixed breed dogs or cats as pets, or chickens for whatever purpose one keeps them, or cattle for hybrid vigor or...

Mutts are not showable, and from that standpoint, they do not have the necessary attributes to make the grade, but neither do many purebreds. I have a number of chicken mutts who are great egglayers and pest control, and they are far better broodies and mamas than most of the show birds (even silkies).

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I like my mutts! Chickens, goats, dogs, cats, and horses. They may not be fancy, but they're lovable. (Shh don't tell, but I like my crossbred goats better than the papered show goats!) Here's my mutt chickens. They're bantam EEs of some variety.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I only have one mutt ... and he doesn't lay well. [​IMG]
    BUT, he is big and beautiful. I love him! My Cuckoo Marans roo (Rupert) is a gentleman in every aspect of the word ... and he taught my mutt to be the same!
    Here's my mutt, Obama .... so named because he was president of the Silkies. He got thrown in when I bought them. The seller said he was 1/2 silkie ???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote:I seriously doubt that - but he's one handsome boy, nonetheless!!!

6. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Quote:he's THICK!!!!

in the last pic

7. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Quote:A much prettier mutt than the real mutt with the same name!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. kathyinmo

Quote:[​IMG]

*goes to get a rag to clean the pop off the monitor*

1 person likes this.
  9. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    He's beautiful. I love his coloring, and he looks like one hefty bird! Look at that chest!

10. kathyinmo

I wish I had a female just like him! Wouldn't they be a cool breed?!

Goes to show ya ... sometimes the best are, "just mutts!" Inferior or undesirable? Nope, not the case here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by