Mutts

Darklingstorm

Songster
9 Years
Jan 10, 2011
Durant, Oklahoma
I've been on here awhile now and read a lot of comments about breeds. Which ones lay the best, for meat, for show, etc. Why just get pure bloods?

What about mutts? who keeps them? Are there any bad things associated with mutts?

I'm a first time chicken owner this year and got several different types of full blood breeds (to see which ones were suited for me). I fell in love with Jersey Giants, but since I don't plan on showing my birds or breed them to make money. I decided to just keep all the different breeds and let them breed together (just want the eggs and occasionally meat). My rooster is a Jersey Giant so it will be interesting as to what their chicks will look like.

We keep chickens for different reasons. For some people and their goals, having pure breeds or chickens that come pretty close to the Standards of Perfection is important. For some of us, our goals are different and having purebreds or chickens that come close to the Standard of Perfection has no value whatsoever.

Depending in what your goals are, there may or may not be something good or bad about specific breeds or mutts.

Back
Top Bottom