MW tom is he normal?

greeneggsandham

Songster
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
Putnam,CT
Ok great turkey gurus of th BYC tell me do toms normally sit on eggs? I know hes a tom as I have hatched a couple of poults from int incubator and caught him doing the deed a few times.

I had left 5 eggs in the coop since my hens were getting upset that I keep taking their eggs. I figured they were looking to be mamas. Well its been 6 days and I find my tom hopping on the nest when the hen gets off to eat, drink, and poop. He really seems to like it because he doesn't always want to get off.

I just went down to lock the chickens in their coop and I find daddy sitting on the nest. He is to funny.

im no turkey expert but a friend of mines tom does the same thing...even chickens do

He will let the hen back on if she "yells" at him enough. He is so careful about getting in and out of the nest. He will also turn around to check and make sure all the eggs are OK.

Mine would never set but, he's a great Daddy. It took me awhile to get the courage to let him near the poults but, it turned out good. It's really neat watching how protective he is in his lumbering slow manner. He's great and will have a home with me his intire life. He's such a big love ball. I have to carry him to his roost every night( he prefers sleeping under the stars which is very dangerous) and he has to have one boiled egg before bed time.
32399_p1000556.jpg

Quote:
I have to usually put my biggest tom to bed at night too... He'll hop up on something and sit outside usually, unless I herd him in before hand....

I think the reason he does it is that he doesn't like jumping onto the roost as big and heavy as he is now...I think he just feels unstable and doesn't like to do it.

That being said they, he CAN go up the ladder to get up there, because if I put him up for the night before it's fully dark and before he's jumped up on the thing he sits on outside (flat surface), I make him walk up the ladder. He knows how to do it, he just doesn't like to do that by himself either. lol

I have stairs up to the perches. I don't have a problem getting them to go up, but a few do not want to come down in the morning.

I use to have some roost on my patio cover and roof. My husband would have to get on the roof to get some down that where to stupid or scared to come down. One spent about three days up there. We could not get him to come down and even had to give him food and water up there. Its crasy what we do for them.

Back
Top Bottom