My 1 month old chicks

TrueFloridaGirl

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2020
Is it normal for my 1 month old chicks to kill another 1 month old chick? I’m thinking they may be fighting over space, food or water. ☹️☹️
EDFE6CC8-8054-4274-9E0E-56B4B747CAF2.jpeg

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry this happened! :hugs I've never seen it before but it's not unheard of for any chickens to keep pecking at a wound that has been exposed, they go after red like vampires. They would possibly peck at one that passed of other causes too.
Were the chicks all raised together?

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry this happened! :hugs I've never seen it before but it's not unheard of for any chickens to keep pecking at a wound that has been exposed, they go after red like vampires. They would possibly peck at one that passed of other causes too.
Were the chicks all raised together?
Yes they have been together from day 2 of being born.

If you have to many chicks confined in a space that is too small, they may start picking on each other and when the vicum has blood drawn the others may become canabalistic.
The fact that they have been together all their life makes no difference.
Watch the remaining chicks for injuries, as this can happen quickly. I think i see 11 chicks in a cage that looks 5-6 feet by 3-4 feet. It looks like compleatly made with hardware cloth so nothing reached in from the outside.
Give them more room asap.

Back
Top Bottom