My 107degree scare

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mom 2em All, May 1, 2008.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Songster

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    [​IMG] I left my house with my still-air incubator holding at :
    bottom of the eggs 100.2
    top of the eggs: 101.7 (this is as close as I can get it).
    I left at 2:30.
    I returned at 4:30, and my bottom therm. read at 101.3 and my top read at 107.4 [​IMG]...I yanked the top off the incubator, and was ready to cry when I realized that my top thermometer had moved upwards- they are probes and I stick them in through the vent holes- way up toward the heating element (probably stupid cat walked by and bumped the probe).
    My eggs felt warm, and I think they got warmer than I would like, but I don't think they were 107 degree warm. Not with that much of a difference between top and bottom.

Your views? Think I am okay?

2. coopist

coopist Songster

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    There's no way to know. You'll have to wait a few days, candle and see if they're okay. Just guessing, I'd say you're all right. But I don't blame you for being thrown by it.

Best of luck.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  3. I think youll be okay. Wait 4-5 days and candle, if you dont see any movement then the eggs are done. Good luck. i hope your eggs are fine.

4. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Songster

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    We just had something similiar happen with the same style of incubator. My 3 year old had the heat turned up to 106 degrees. It was about a week from hatch so we opened it up cooled it off and reset the temp and hoped for the best. So far 8 chicks have hatched and two more are getting ready to break out. So far we haven't had any problems with the chicks. Keep hoping, a few might not have made it but you should still have a some that will hatch successfully. Good Luck

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  5. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Songster

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I am worried, even though I am trying not be- I have five that need to move to the hatcher tomorrow, six that are due to move next Friday for a Monday hatch, and then 28 in there that are on Day 1. [​IMG] I cant candle the dark ones, they are too dark shelled.
    Guess I just wait and see. [​IMG]

6. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Songster

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Okay, I am now excited! I candled my eggs for the last time- Day 18 here. These five are all that are left from my disastrous shipment. I have very little hope for them. Can't really see in them, so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.
    Then, the temp. scare.

So, I candled these five and in one of the black giant eggs, there was definitely a very active chick in there. [​IMG]
    I have no idea about the other four. And so it begins. That staring in the incubator- searching for signs of the big break to freedom...ear on a vent hole, listening-wondering if I hear something or if my brain is making it up-OR is it my hair rubbing on the styrofoam making the sound????? [​IMG] THIS is the part that is addictive. Like a roller coaster ride that makes you scream and pee your pants...just so you can get back in line again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: