My 13 wk roo is a PIG !

nanawendy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
Bellingham Wa
How do you make a roo a gentleman. I never had a problem with my sons... But this guy is a maniac. I scrambled them all egg yolks and zuk( as I make a angle food cake) So I put a goodly amount in 4 paper plates and distributed them between the 2 coops. Earl (the roo) is in with his sis Pearl and the other teens. He is such a pig.
rant.gif
Trampling over everyone and flinging food about. I have heard many of you speak of your roos as being gentlemen... HOW DID YOU DO IT???
he.gif
This is my first and he is special because our OLIVIA the EE hatched Earl and Pearl , Both beautiful BR"S
hu.gif
help!

Last edited:
Our Rooster was an absolute pig at that age. He suddenly changed though, when he started mating with the hens and they started laying eggs. He now makes sure all of the hens have something to eat, before he eats. When he finds a bug, he gives out a clucky sound and the hens come running, because they know he will give it to them. When we throw food in the run, he will pick it up and drop it at their feet. Give him about six more weeks or so. Be prepared for a possible attitude change as well. I have to constantly remind our BR Rooster that I'm boss.

Edit: Oh yeah and one more thing, chicken are not people so don't epect them to act like they are.

Last edited:
My hens started laying about a month ago - he's been mating them for two and my roo is still a pig. Listed him as free on craigs list today after he cut the neck of one of my hens for the second time.

So this could go either way
fl.gif
sure hope he mellows out. The older girls are laying but none in his coop. No matter we love him
love.gif

Last edited:
My oldest roo (a one and a half year old EE) is a total gentleman, and great guardian of his flock.

His eldest son was a bit of a pig at 13 weeks of age, but mostly just a hard headed adolescent male.

His younger son was very timid and wouldn't even crow, he was so intimidated of his father -- who still lived in the same henhouse as the younger cockerel.

It was not until I moved the younger boy out of the henhouse and away from his father that he began to act like a young rooster.

Now, younger roo is also a gentleman -- notorious for teaching his hens how to rummage for fresh raspberries in MY raspberry patch!

We have a 16wk old SS roo (a surprise, he was supposed to be a she), and he is a pig as well. I haven't seen him mate his brooder mates yet, and the 7 older hens keep him in line. I'm sure all this will change soon, so we are waiting to see how he works out before we decide whether to keep or rehome him.

donnavee I'd love to see a pic of your SS roo. I had 4 pullets and gave 2 to a friend. I love their coloring
love.gif

Last edited:
I only have one roo (as far as I know) and he is 13 weeks also. He is just like you describe yours, a huge treat hog! I don't mind giving him extras though because he is showing really good instinct towards protecting the rest of the flock. I have been noticing lately that when I go to give them treats that there are a couple of girls that he doesn't try as hard to take the treats from. They must be his favorites already.

Here are the pics of our Speckled Sussex Roo, named Sioux. He started life as Suzie, and we never could get used to a totally new name. The young ones follow him around, but at almost 17wks old, he still hasn't shown that protective rooster trait. Though, I have noticed the beginnings of spurs. Have to make sure he remembers to respect us.

This picture is at about 9wks old:
30647_suzie_9wks.jpg

And here is a more recent picture:

30647_sioux_16wks.jpg

He is a pretty thing.

He is very pretty!
smile.png

My Henry started out as a huge slob and a hog but he is very polite now. I had fed Snowflake some bread crust and he didn't see her eat hers and when I held a piece out for him and moved her away -- he YANKED it out of my hand (he never does that) and went over and put it in front of her! She promptly ATE IT. I had to go in for more... maybe he has me trained instead of the other way around. LOL As soon as your rooster figures out that he has responsibilities -- he will straighten up!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom