My 1st Goats!! Many Questions

They are very finicky creatures. And you said it best they can be very dramatic. LOL That's what frustrates me but makes me love them I think. It's just funny sometimes talking to people because for some reason they have this opinion that goats have no personality and not to bright and just wander around aimlessly eating whatever and they can eat anything and they're fine. Way opposite. But their personalities are huge and the bestI don't know if I could see myself not owning goats anymore. Oh and I see her headlights now

I've noticed that to go eat just about anything off of every where except for hay. Once it hits the ground that's where it stays unless a human comes and cleans it up. I've been working on something to reduce the waste but yeah sometimes I think they waste as much if not more hay than they eat. Once I complete and test my set up I'll let y'all know if it helped waste management as far as that goes we will see

Be careful feeding grain to the wether. Too much can result in a medical condition where he won't be able to urinate.

My miniature goats get alfalfa hay, pasture and yard grazing in the warm months, occasional scoops of Purina goat and sheep feed, along with a commercial mineral block because I wasn't sure they were getting enough copper. Of course, for YEARS I just provided a salt block and didn't give mineral block, and those goats all did fine.

Having started all gloom and doom, let me just say: "Goats!!! Wheeee!!!" I fell in love with the first Nigerian dwarf/African pygmy cross bottle baby that was put in my arms. Mini goats have been a part of my life for about 20 years, and -- aside from the challenges in keeping them INSIDE fences -- they are delightful creatures. Congrats!

Just too would be very careful feeding any grains to a wether. They don't need it anyways under most instances. Urinary stones can form quickly, and can be deadly.

I feed a loose goat mineral which contains copper. I personally haven't found a block that's made solely for goats. It's recommended not to use a block as goats will try to bite them and could damage their teeth.

I provide baking soda free choice. They eat more when on pasture, and they will consume more minerals on hay generally.
Strange mine says goats and isn't rock hard either. They have consumed a lot of it. It's like chalk sort of...

Is a mineral block basically the same thing as the “Mineral Tub” that comes in a pail? Do both do the same thing just different method of delivery?
The blocks are made for cattle and are hard. I'm not totally familiar with the ones in the tub. If it says it's made for goats and is a mineral it should be okay. They make protein blocks, I think that's something different. There are of course different products in different parts of the country. I know what's around here, but not everywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom