My 1st Goats!! Many Questions

Just too would be very careful feeding any grains to a wether. They don't need it anyways under most instances. Urinary stones can form quickly, and can be deadly.

I feed a loose goat mineral which contains copper. I personally haven't found a block that's made solely for goats. It's recommended not to use a block as goats will try to bite them and could damage their teeth.

I provide baking soda free choice. They eat more when on pasture, and they will consume more minerals on hay generally.

Just too would be very careful feeding any grains to a wether. They don't need it anyways under most instances. Urinary stones can form quickly, and can be deadly.

I feed a loose goat mineral which contains copper. I personally haven't found a block that's made solely for goats. It's recommended not to use a block as goats will try to bite them and could damage their teeth.

I provide baking soda free choice. They eat more when on pasture, and they will consume more minerals on hay generally.
Strange mine says goats and isn't rock hard either. They have consumed a lot of it. It's like chalk sort of...

Is a mineral block basically the same thing as the “Mineral Tub” that comes in a pail? Do both do the same thing just different method of delivery?
The blocks are made for cattle and are hard. I'm not totally familiar with the ones in the tub. If it says it's made for goats and is a mineral it should be okay. They make protein blocks, I think that's something different. There are of course different products in different parts of the country. I know what's around here, but not everywhere else.

Ok so no grains it is.
@oldhenlikesdogs which loose mineral do you use?
I was looking at the Goat mineral by manna pro at TSC. They also have a product called goat balancer. What’s the difference if any?
I wouldn't do any grains except for an occasional treat. Adult goats don't need them generally unless they are milking. I think my goat mineral is a local product.

Back
Top Bottom