My 2 days old chick is losing her fluff from her wings

Psarri

Hatching
Mar 8, 2021
Hello. I just started incubating chicks for first time.
I've ordered 6 by post. 5 were fertilized and from those 5 just 1 pipped and hatch at day 23. I've made the water test then and candled the 4 left, and just 2 look like might still hatch...?
My question is, from all 5 just 1 had h. She's now 2 days old and she's losing all her fluff from her wings. Every day more. She has them nearly naked. Is that normal?
She wants cuddling all the time, as I do few times a day and she calms down. Also when I put her music she likes it.
Why is she losing all her wings fluff?
She's really active runing and jumping, eats and drinks ok.

Attachments

• 16152277310002793832395518872520.jpg
    16152277310002793832395518872520.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 96
Birds grow the feathers on their wings first. You are seeing pin feathers growing out. When the waxy white sheath falls off, you will see the feather inside.

Is this your only chick? One chick will get very lonely and unhappy. They are social animals and need other chickens with them. That's why it wants to be cuddled all the time. The best thing to do is get another chick or two from a feedstore or maybe someone near who has hatchlings.

:welcome

Congratulations on your new addition!

In the picture you shared, her wings look fine! :) As @Wishing4Wings said, a chick's wing feathers come in first. The fluff will "grow out" as the new adult feathers come in.

And yes--chickens need friends! If the last two don't hatch, the little cutie will need a companion!

Birds grow the feathers on their wings first. You are seeing pin feathers growing out. When the waxy white sheath falls off, you will see the feather inside.

Is this your only chick? One chick will get very lonely and unhappy. They are social animals and need other chickens with them. That's why it wants to be cuddled all the time. The best thing to do is get another chick or two from a feedstore or maybe someone near who has hatchlings.
I agree, this is perfectly fine! We have some that are feathering out right now, and they looked exactly the same. She looks like she’s going to be a pretty bird! :jumpy

Thank you all so much. I was worried because was her 2nd day, just I moved her out of the incubator. I bought 3 chicks to make her company 2 days later and at first she didn't liked it much and was jealous if some of the new ones was coming to me, she's the Alfa! But now she has really full and big feathers in both her wings. She still calls me all day long for attention and to get out of the box for a bit as soon as she sees me jumping and screaming.

The other 2 eggs left, still haven't hatched though is day 30 already but they're pipping inside since 3 days ago and still not a pip out neither a little crack....

Attachments

• IMG-20210312-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20210312-WA0001.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG-20210313-WA0010.jpeg
    IMG-20210313-WA0010.jpeg
    319.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-20210310-WA0012.jpeg
    IMG-20210310-WA0012.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-20210311-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20210311-WA0013.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-20210310-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20210310-WA0006.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 45
Thank you all so much. I was worried because was her 2nd day, just I moved her out of the incubator. I bought 3 chicks to make her company 2 days later and at first she didn't liked it much and was jealous if some of the new ones was coming to me, she's the Alfa! But now she has really full and big feathers in both her wings. She still calls me all day long for attention and to get out of the box for a bit as soon as she sees me jumping and screaming.

The other 2 eggs left, still haven't hatched though is day 30 already but they're pipping inside since 3 days ago and still not a pip out neither a little crack....
So cute! 🥰

Hello. I just started incubating chicks for first time.
I've ordered 6 by post. 5 were fertilized and from those 5 just 1 pipped and hatch at day 23. I've made the water test then and candled the 4 left, and just 2 look like might still hatch...?
My question is, from all 5 just 1 had h. She's now 2 days old and she's losing all her fluff from her wings. Every day more. She has them nearly naked. Is that normal?
She wants cuddling all the time, as I do few times a day and she calms down. Also when I put her music she likes it.
Why is she losing all her wings fluff?
She's really active runing and jumping, eats and drinks ok.
No no i beileve this is tottally normal! It happens with chicks of that age, they just loose feathers to get those stubby point things, its less cute but it just happens, no worries!

Back
Top Bottom