My 2 hens-picture and question(s)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sammy, Aug 4, 2008.

1. sammy

sammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    here they are-appreciate anyone telling me how old they are and what breed (rir?) and any other comments welcome too.

these poor things were debeaked [​IMG]

- didnt realize till I got them home

sorry 2nd pic is a bit cloudy

thanks!
    Sammy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  2. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

That's too bad, well make sure you get a feeder that has a deep trough because they have to scoop up the feed. They really dont get to have a normal life when they are debeaked, they cant feather themselves or wipe their beaks its just not natural. Other than that they look healthy and happy! And not to mention beautiful! They appear to be RIR like you assumed, and I am not sure about the age but they look a little bigger than my standards are and they are 13 weeks!

3. sammy

sammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Quote:Thanks for the compliments and info cmc!

I feel so bad for them about the beaks poor things.
    I feed them right now in a tin so the feed is piled up pretty high, enough to scoop it out i am sure since they eat like piggies.

They havent laid an egg yet either - just figured i would add that info
    (and of course it is driving me nuts) [​IMG]

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I'm thinking they look like a New Hampshire. My RIR has far more solid red coloring. Just a guess though.

5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

They're Red sex links sold under a variety of 'brand' names. They are THE brown egg layers, if you buy brown eggs in the store chances are they came from one of these sweeties.

They're a cross between a red male and a silver gened female the breeds used in the cross vary depending on who produced them. I LOVE them!! I think you will too they are such sweet chickens.

The beaks don't look all that bad, I think there's a chance they'll grow back. Fingers crossed for that.

Enjoy your chickens! [​IMG]

6. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

Yea I will agree with Chirpy they are not dark enough to be RIR's I am not thinking New Hampshires!

7. TNtrader

TNtrader Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2008
    Ella is right their red sex links, often times called Golden Comets or Cinnamon Queens, depends on where you get them from. No matter the name these are young pullets and when they start to lay you'll love them. Lays tons of big brown eggs!!

8. Silly Chickens

Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

They do look like my red sex-links. Mine are so sweet and like to be held and cuddled. They are our only chickens that let my son carry them around....well, Berry our EE rooster is very sweet and lets him hold him too.

Very good looking girls you have there. Sorry about the beaks [​IMG]

9. silverwing0904

silverwing0904 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    Yea there Red sex links, when i got mine they said they were RIR too. After a while they didn't look a thing like RIR. Got on the computer turns out they were RSL. Your gonna love them there so nice! They also lay tons of eggs.

10. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    red sex links for sure...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by