my 23 week old pullet squawks whenever she sees us or hears us ! help

michelle b 1972

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 28, 2010
manchester U.K.
hi everyone i bought 2 young pullets and kept them away from my other established girls, but the trouble is one of them squawks whenever she sees us or hears us going out to them, so as you can imagine its also early in the morning ! i live in the uk and in the city ! my other girls dont make a noise unless they have laid an egg or had a squabble ! my neighbours are going to start complaining as she really is noisy and i dont know why ! i have tried to put them in with the others but they all pick on her and she looks so fearful... it does shut her up for a while then she starts again ! she has done it since the day i bought her and brought her home !
she is a pure bred rhode island red ..but both of them are white with the odd red feather here and there ! the breeder only breeds R.I.R and french marans ! i bought them because they were different because of there colour and knew where they were from ! i am at a loss can anyone suggest anything please ?
thanks
michelle x

Hi! What kind of a setup did she come from? Was she housed with lots of other birds or is she young enough that maybe she was raised indoors with human contact and is just really happy to see you. How does she act once you are near her? Does she calm down or continue her tirade even after you leave. Does she have a buddy?
caf.gif

All my girls raise a ruckus whenever they spy me walking about. It's so bad they take turns on the lookout post if they are in the coop.

Letting them out or handing out yummy treats usually fixes it though
smile.png

Some are just more talkative than others. My barred rock, Mean Marge, talks to me the whole entire time that I am outside. She just bawks and bawks like she is giving me a full report and catching me up on the gossip of the day. When I answer her she is quiet then she feels the need to continue the conversation. She also feels the need to follow me around and bawk directions at me when I am doing things. The others are very quiet but thats probably because she wont let them get a word in edgwise. Yours might just be desiring your company and wants to talk to you as well. Dont know of any way to stop it. You say she is picked on when you put her in with the others. Any chance you could remove the worst bully and try to put her in with the rest of the flock and see if that makes a difference?

Agree with removing the worst bully then try integration. Maybe she just wants to be with the rest of the chickens.

thanks for all your replies.... first of all she was housed with about 15 of her family in a small and i mean small outside coop (he is a breeder) he did even say to us that we would look after them better than he does ! we have put both of them into the main coop and they seem ok... upto now .... slight picking from the boss but nothing major... its been about an hour ... it looks as if both of them want to get out of there as they are not used to being picked on since i have had them... i think it could be the fact that they are white also as all my others are darker coloured , thus making them easy to see !
in 1 hour she has squawked twice but my hubby is out there with them at the minute !
all my other girls seem to be showing alot of disgruntlement as they are all making a racket now ! O.M.G ! lol
thanks
michelle

They recognize you as the treat person. She's notifying everyone that the treat person is coming. Mine start "talking" the second they hear my door shut, and they all go running to the gate.

thats exactly what happens here.... soon as they hear the door unlock she starts and then she gets louder..... she is the only one that makes the loudest noise, all the others stand at the gate and cluck and talk between themselves , but her, she lets the entire neighbourhood know even early in the morning ! we end up feeding her first as she just gets louder and louder it almost sounds like someone is harming her its that bad ! early morning feeding time here is funny but it shouldnt be ( i will explain)
lol.png

this is why i laugh because every morning this runs through my mind and this is what it reminds me of>>>>> have you ever been drunk and had a brilliant night and you come back totally drunk and laughing and then know that once you get in you have to be quiet as everyone else is asleep and the more you try to be quiet the louder you become and laugh more ?
well..... thats what its like EVERY morning
lol.png

will she stop ???????? i really hope so.... i have never had a chicken like her before !
then when all the others go in to roost she sits on the ramp and starts again.. as if she is telling everyone to go to bed !
my boss hen isnt impressed with her and does have a go at her when she is at her loudest... then it turns into a squabble which creates more noise , then all the others come to have a look and sometimes have a go at her aswell !
dont know whats worst... the chickens or my 3 girls atleast when they argue amongst themselves i can tell them to shut up ........ lol

michelle x

My RIR always starts making noise when she sees me too. Whenever I go out the sliding glass door they go running to the coop door to watch me walk over. When the RIR starts making noise I just talk to her and say "I'm comin, I'm comin" and she quiets down. They just get excited because they know I'm bringing something good and so as soon as I get to them all is quiet again. So maybe just try talking to her? If she still makes a ton of noise I dont know....

Back
Top Bottom