My 3 day olds hate me

KDbeads

Songster
10 Years
Aug 20, 2009
East Central VA
The two little black mutts we hatched are terrible little monsters, they peck at the other 2 relentlessly, run the others off the food and water, and now... they scream bloody murder and poo when I pick them up
hit.gif
They are doing this so much and so loud that the other mutt chick and the EE chick are starting to follow suit if they see me near the brooder. The EE chick was so snuggly too, that is until today. Have I done something wrong? We don't hover and smother them, just make a point to pick them up about 4 times a day and pet them a little then put them back in, the EE was liking to curl into my shirt so I held it a little longer than the others. I scoop them up, don't grab them from the top, don't squeeze them...

Did I get a couple of duds? Or could this be a sign of flighty chickens in the future? And why are they turning the other 2 against me??

Last edited:
I think 3 day old are like the terrible twos. lol

Mine are always the same way for about a week or so until they associate the BIG HAND coming into the brooder as the Food Bringer. Then suddenly everyone will want to be your friend.
smile.png

Just be patient and ignore their sassiness for now.

hugs.gif

everything but the BOs we have were screaming tantruming mosters as chicks. the leghorns where insane, flighty and nasty. the 2 EE's and the lone barred rock are flighty and not as friendly as the BO's.

I got 1week olds 1 week ago (2 weeks old now) - I have held them daily - only one (the Turkin) will volunterly climb on my hand when I reach in - the others skill fly away like I'm the big bad wolf.

About how long before they realize I'm their friend?

Some will say they are too young, but when you come to them, call "chicky chicky" or whatever your call is, and offer a few tiny pieces of boiled egg as treats so that they associate your coming as something positive. You may want to sprinkle a tiny bit of fine grit over their food beforehand. They may still complain when being picked up or held, but at least you'll be seen in a positive light. I have two that act like I'm plucking them or something when I pick them up...and two who seem to like it...one could give or take. But I still make sure they ALL get handled daily.

Last edited:
We tried the treat of oatmeal with yogurt today for everyone........ the girls outside, who normally flee in terror at the sight of me, were trying to climb up my legs to get to the container. The babies??? I was graced with my little EE stepping in the dish and running away all gunky... they still haven't touched it even with crumbles added
roll.png

I have them on sand in the brooder and Friday they figured out how to rip up the paper towels covering the sand and proceeded to eat nothing but sand until I replaced all the paper towels and reinforced the floor over the sand yesterday morning. Made for some interesting poo
tongue.png

Trying to come up with another treat for the little devils... thinking cheese....

Nothing says "come to mama" to my chickens more than scrambled eggs!
lol.png
I know it sounds a little kooky, but it's good protein for them, and it's easy for me to fix.

24456_chick_061.jpg

Last edited:
i think shredded cheese is a great eat-out-of-my-hand treat until they get so big that that hurts your hand.
smile.png

scrambled eggs with cheese is awesome because it has that cheesey taste they love, and it's full of nutrients. mine (baby chicks) don't know about eggs yet. but i'm going to try again with some cheese in it. last time i gave them eggs, they just walked around in it.
smile.png
oh well.

Back
Top Bottom