My 3 hens

erin11

Hatching
Jan 1, 2017
Hi. I'm Erin and new to having chickens. I have one little buff orphington and two Easter Eggers that just started Laying this past month. Today I discovered my one Easter egger is losing feathers around her vent and don't know what to do. Any help is appreciated!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Has she had trouble pooping as in the poop getting stuck on the feathers around her vent? It could also be a case of feather pecking from other birds. Have you checked her for lice? Lice do tend to cause them irritation and they can over preen trying to rid themselves of these. Does she seem ok otherwise, eating and drinking ok?

Good luck with her and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Has she had trouble pooping as in the poop getting stuck on the feathers around her vent? It could also be a case of feather pecking from other birds. Have you checked her for lice? Lice do tend to cause them irritation and they can over preen trying to rid themselves of these. Does she seem ok otherwise, eating and drinking ok?

Good luck with her and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow
I didn't notice any bugs but am going to check her better this afternoon. I'm going to buy stuff for a dust bath/mite bath tomorrow for all three of them and clean out their coop really good. I'm just shocked that bugs would be out in this cold weather and we clean our coop every weekend so it's not like it's dirty or moist in there. Someone also suggested batthing her in epsom salt

G’Day from down under erin11
frow.gif
Welcome!

Yorkshire Coop has given you some great starting points and I hope that you are able to work out the reason for the feather loss.

I also hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom