My 3 wk chicks have diarrhea...

MountainGoat

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 28, 2014
East Tennessee
It looks like (sorry) melted chocolate and it's way more than every tenth poop. It's not cecals, which I'm becoming familiar with. I had just started slowly switching them from MannaPro medicated starter feed to Purina Start & Grow, using half and half. I saw on another thread that this has been recalled, so I'm discontinuing it. I'm not sure if the diarrhea comes from the "nutrient deficient" feed, from changing feeds, or from some other cause. I'm putting them back on MannaPro immediately and returning the other in the morning. Should I just put electrolytes in the water or do nutridrench? What else might be necessary?

It looks like (sorry) melted chocolate and it's way more than every tenth poop. It's not cecals, which I'm becoming familiar with. I had just started slowly switching them from MannaPro medicated starter feed to Purina Start & Grow, using half and half. I saw on another thread that this has been recalled, so I'm discontinuing it. I'm not sure if the diarrhea comes from the "nutrient deficient" feed, from changing feeds, or from some other cause. I'm putting them back on MannaPro immediately and returning the other in the morning. Should I just put electrolytes in the water or do nutridrench? What else might be necessary?

Are you putting Probiotic in their water if not do so and with this runny poo Electrolyte should be added right along too....

Try some hard boiled egg's also for several days ......

Last edited:
Are you putting Probiotic in their water if not do so and with this runny poo Electrolyte should be added right along too....

Try some hard boiled egg's also for several days ......

I agree, probiotics and scrambled eggs. pro-biotics help to build the good bacteria that lives in the digestive system. increasing the good bacteria can actually help your chickens absorb more nutrients from the feed, requiring less feed overall!

I only give electrolytes if I think the bird is dehydrated, diarrhea is the opposite of dehydration in my mind

you could also give them raw oats, I find this seems to firm up their poop. NutriDrench is another great idea, I give it undiluted in situations like this; just a few drops on the edge of the beak, don't inject it down the throat or it could cause aspiration.

Thanks everybody, I'm going to do the probiotics and eggs for them. I noticed way less runny poo after the NutriDrench, fresh shavings, and switch back to Manna Pro. Is it common to see problems like this when you change the food brand? The MannaPro is super expensive (more than twice as much as the Purina) and I'd really like to wean them on to something more affordable, but I don't want to make them sick.

Back
Top Bottom