my 3 year old's favorite pet, Buttercup, is lethargic, droopy, with puffed up feathers, won't eat

I bought her from an auction...I do not know how old she is. She might weigh a couple of pounds. I came out to my garage this morning (where she was kept last night) and she is barely hanging on. I have her laying on a blanket now and I have found there is a brownish black round hard spot on the bottom of one of her feet and the entire leg is sensitive. I have not had chickens long enough to know what this could be and could this be causing her problem?

It sounds like she is very sick. Is there any chance you could take her to a vet? The brownish spot on the bottom of the foot, combined with leg sensitivity, could be a sign of infection. Did you notice her limping before this?

No, she was not limping. Just suddenly became lathargic. She is still hanging in there. She is not going to make it through the night
hit.gif
I think she just had some sort of seizure. I have her in my garage, wrapped up in a big blanket to keep warm. Her comb is cold and purple (its 60 degrees here today...so not cold). There is a vet here, but he just said he would put her to sleep and out of her misery. Just before she had the seizure, she wrapped her long toes around my finger and squeezed. She knows I am there for her...she responds to my voice. If she makes it through the night...I will be very surprised :(

I am so sorry and I really feel for you. What you just described sounds like she is in the process dying. She probably wouldn't make it to the vet. Has she started to breathe through her mouth yet? Again, I am sorry, but there probably wasn't anything that you or a vet could have done.

Last edited:
You are dealing with bumblefoot as you indicated by the dark round scab on the bottom of her foot. It is a staph infection in the foot caused most likely by a small splinter that has become infected. Once the staph infection works its way to the legbone, it quickly spreads throughout the chickens system causing organ failure, then death. No amount of antibiotics can save a chicken once the infection spreads after passing through the legbone. Since her comb has turned purple, it usually indicates a lack of blood flow, possibly heart failure or a heart valve problem due to the infection.

You are dealing with bumblefoot as you indicated by the dark round scab on the bottom of her foot. It is a staph infection in the foot caused most likely by a small splinter that has become infected. Once the staph infection works its way to the legbone, it quickly spreads throughout the chickens system causing organ failure, then death. No amount of antibiotics can save a chicken once the infection spreads after passing through the legbone. Since her comb has turned purple, it usually indicates a lack of blood flow, possibly heart failure or a heart valve problem due to the infection.
x2. It does indeed sound like it is bumble foot. There are some excellent threads on this site about treating this condition, though it does sound like you may be past the point of trying treat this yourself. Best of luck, either way.

mm

Here is my Mawmaw's foot...I really appreciate all of the advice you all have given. If I can save her...I am going to do what I can. If she is past the point of help....what do I do? If this is bumblefoot, is she suffering? Is she in pain? What do I do? I am just beside myself and have honestly cried all day at the thought of losing my Mawmaw

x2. It does indeed sound like it is bumble foot. There are some excellent threads on this site about treating this condition, though it does sound like you may be past the point of trying treat this yourself. Best of luck, either way.

mm
I posted a picture of her foot that I took this morning and sent to my cousin for advice.

This is horrible. I feel horrible. How can I prevent this from happening to my other girls? What are some of the signs? Mawmaw never limped or gave any sign. She is blind and stayed in a pen all to herself with a nonstop supply of food and water.

Back
Top Bottom