My 32 week old Rhode Island Reds not laying

smfarman

Crowing
Jun 16, 2016
North of Tampa, FL
I am getting concerned about my rhode island red chickens not laying eggs yet, I have put them in a large dog crate now for five days just case they where hiding their eggs, but no eggs. They have combs and waddles and been doing the egg song, they are on layer crumbles and oyster shells

I am getting concerned about my rhode island red chickens not laying eggs yet, I have put them in a large dog crate now for five days just case they where hiding their eggs, but no eggs. They have combs and waddles and been doing the egg song, they are on layer crumbles and oyster shells .
How much daylight are they getting? They should have at least 16 hours.

Wow!!! Congrats! You waited so long. Mine are almost 20 weeks and the wait is already killin me. If they hold out as long as yours we might be having chicken soup instead of scrambled eggs.

my rhode island reds, got very stressed out when they where about 18-19 weeks old. A wild cat got into the coop and killed four of my chickens. I brought the rest of them inside for a few weeks, the other three seemed fine but the two RIRs did not want to be outside. So, I put them in a large dog kennel/crate inside for about a month then I put them in my screened porch until about a month ago when they went back with the other ones and now they are doing good.
So I learned that a stressed chicken will not lay, but normally RIRs usually starts to lay eggs about 18 to 26 weeks. hopefully you will see eggs soon

Back
Top Bottom