My 4 day old silkie chick's eyes is swollen shut, help! :(

SwanKeeper

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 20, 2010
I have a 4 day old chick that came in a dilivary with 9 others. It's right eye is swollen shut, face is not swollen. It is accting normal as far as I can tell. My mom and I have cleaned it out with a q-tip dipped in warm water. We opened it up a little bit and I saw a white area near the back corner of its eye. I'm not sure if its just cuddling, or it is rubbing its eye on the rag I have it wrapped in. We are going to put it in isolation so it doesn't spred to others and I can keep a good eye on it.
If anyone can tell me what is wrong and how to treat it I would be grateful.

100_1624.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe the other chicks have been pecking at it? I noticed my chicks eye pecking yesterday and I searched this forum. Seems that it is quite normal since they peck at anything black and shiny. Several people talked about it being so bad that the eye became swollen shut. It is just a suggestion, I am by NO means an expert, actually I am a complete newbie, it just fits the descriptions I read yesterday.

At least this will give your post a bump
wink.png

Open the eye with warm water. Flush with Sterile eye drops a few times a day. Should work fine, if you have Terimycin (sp?) eye ointment put some in. You can use neosporin in a pinch. I've had this before, just keep on top of it for a few days and it should work out fine. Just make sure that the chick can see, if not it will not eat or drink and go down hill fast if the eye stays shut.

OK, so I keeped her in my room with me last night so I coould keep a close eye on her and while I had her sleeping on my chest and I could hear little popping sounds comeing from her. I think she either grinds her beak in her sleep or maybe she is having trouble breathing.

I'm gona try the warm water treatment again today, and if i see no improvement I'ma give her Tylan, cause my mom thinks it is a respratory infection.

Do not use warm water in the eye, it does not match the saline content of the body and will cause more irritation. Use something like sterile saline sensitive eyes for contact lenses.

I don't like the popping sound you described. Was the peep given forced water or did it fall in to the waterer?

Give it drop of Polyvisol without iron a couple of times a day. Sometimes a vitamin a deficiency involving the parents can cause eye issues in the chicks.

So I have bad and good news. My little chick is not better but she is not worse. I think she is gona make it, minuse one eye, but alive and spunky. I'ma call her "Uno", or "Chatty" casue she talks non-stop
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom