my 4 week old chick crowed when I turned on the light- is it a male?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ejerud, Mar 5, 2012.

1. ejerud

ejerud New Egg

Mar 5, 2012
    We live in Seattle where roosters are not allowed. So we bought our chicks from the local grange, that buys only sexed chicks. We've had them for 4 weeks, and turn off the lights for half an hour each day (as instructed in the Storey's Raising Chickens book). When I turned on the light yesterday, one of them crowed. It was a little chick crow, but it sure sounded like it was preparing for the real thing. We have two Rhode Island Reds and two Buff Orpingtons.

2. redheadfarmer

redheadfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    SW Ontario
    I have a 6 week olive egger and he is already practicing his crowing....cute right now but won't be when he finds his big boy voive. They are funny though, because I had an Ameraucana roo (he was very tame and beautifully coloured) and he didn't crow until 5 + months. Sounds like you might have a roo too....no pun intended.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

If it's crowing at this age, definite boy IMO. :/

4. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    I raised some straight run light brahamas and the boys (7 out of 9) had a couple who crowed at 8 weeks. It was a very very pitiful sound. Lol. But it was cute.

5. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Sexing is usually only guaranteed 90% accurate by the hatcheries. If you know which one it is, the grange might let you bring it back and exchange it. Some stores and sellers do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by