My 4 week old roo is trying to crow.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Barred Rocker, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    I raised chickens with my grandmother when I was a kid for 20 years and now 25 years later I'm doing it again. I've hatched 3 batches of chicks this summer of Barred Rocks and Buff Orpingtons. I was fortunate that out of all the hatches, 20 chicks total, I only got 1 buff roo and 2 BR roos. The first BR roo came out of the first batch around 7/4/09 and didn't really display as being a roo till at least 3 or 4 weeks. The second,hatched 9/1/09, I could tell within a week and now at 4 weeks his comb is huge and something I have never seen before, he's trying to crow and isn't have bad at it either. I've got 4 other roos on the farm that crow like crazy so maybe they're inspiring him. I've just never seen a roo attempt to crow before 16 weeks. I have 2 others that started at that age about 2 weeks ago and they sounded horrible. Anyone else seen a roo this young do this or do I have a special one?

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Sounds like you have a prodigy!
    I'm just so jealous that you only had 3 roos out of 20! No fair!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You've led a sheltered life! I've had them crow 5 days after hatching and a couple at 7 days old, but most crow here way before 10 weeks old. My very latest ever was 18 weeks. Isaac, my Delaware, crowed at 9 weeks. Of course, it sounded more like a kazoo.

4. buck431397

buck431397 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Pilesgrove, NJ
    my 5 week old chick are making this crazy screeching sound, Is that a crow?

5. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    I've got an 8 week old cornish cross that started crowing. It took us a while to figure out what was going on because it sounded like bleating. I thought a baby deer or something was in the area and was terrified. That's how bad the crowing sounded. Finally DW saw the culprit in the chicken tractor. It was definitely a roo and all of his hackles were puffed up when he "crowed."

We've heard it many times since but it hasn't gotten any easier on the ears. LOL

Dan

6. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    wow, I never knew they could start so young. Maybe I never recognised any previously as crowing but this little guy has a good set of pipes and knows the tune. My wife named him Brewster and he's destined to be the roo of the flock.
    I've got a mixed RIR/Silkie that started crowing last week at 16 weeks and I swear it sounded like someone was beating a donkey. He got better with a little practice. Thanks for the comments.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by