My 4 wk old black aussies look so different, is something wrong?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ging3rhoffman, Apr 17, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    One is fully feathered and one is frightening, to say the least. Do you think something is wrong with her? Both are pullets and the same exact age.[​IMG]

This one is full feathered, as you can see

[​IMG]

2. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    Thats the same with me..

ALL my chicks are fully feathered but one, She has NO wings, No tailfeather... nothing

but shes fine! [​IMG]

3. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Might be a rooster. [​IMG]

4. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Ones a rooster!

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    This is my BA roo at about 3 weeks...his tail took forever
    [​IMG]

6. DCS

DCS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2008
    I am interested in hearing as well - I have 3 black cochins that were given to me at a swap. (They may very well be really inbred - I don't know) One is getting really big, and fully feathered, another is smaller, and maybe 3/4 feathered, and the littlest one is half the size of the big one and only has some feathers.

There was a 4th sib who I think might have been blind as the poor thing never gained much weight and would eat voraciously if food was right there... didn't survive.

Anyway, the littlest surviving chick doesn't seem to do much but roost and sleep. S/He eats, but isn't very active. I am hoping it's just a runt and not some sign of an inborn problem. They're about 5 weeks old.

Danielle

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

There are already two of mine that don't have tail feathers and all the others do. One of them I have suspected as a roo from day 1.

8. Fairfieldchick

Fairfieldchick New Egg

Mar 20, 2009
    Fairfield, CT
    Are you saying that the roo's tail feathers take longer to come in than the hen's? I am a newbie and crossing my fingers that my 6 babies are all female! I have 6 different breads so I suppose it will be hard to compare their tail feather growth anyway. Any other hints as to telling if it is a roo? I also read someone's posting about thicker legs...

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It doesn't necessarily means it's a rooster. One is slow feathering and one is fast feathering. That's all. Not a problem and they'll catch up to each other in the end. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by