My 4 year old buff orpington is sick and I don't know how to help her

Also if you can show how much shade they got and what coop conditions are like lack of ventalation can cause heat stroke if its high heat in the coop. other things can be factors too like bio security. chickens can get lots of problems. Also please post pictures of your chickens comb and other chickens of same breed's comb and describe age differences. this info can aid our lovly chicken experts here on the forums.

Thank you!
I will take pics of her poo next time she goes. I have her in a box in my house right now to monitor her. I've already cleaned up after her last poo and didn't take a pic but it was dark brown and watery. I checked, no worms or blood.

I have not given her any scraps from the kitchen recently and they are never rotten. This last week she has only had layer crumbles, bird seed (from Murdoch's), and scrambled/cooked eggs. She is not drinking much water anymore sadly.

It's winter here in Colorado so no overheating. We had a big winter snow but their run was protected, no snow in the run, water never froze, and food was normal.

Attached is a picture of her standing (sort of). She isn't moving around or standing like normal. Not sure if you can tell from the pic but her left wing is just hanging at her side. The right side seems to be fine.

Attachments

• pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 2
  • pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 2
Also if you can show how much shade they got and what coop conditions are like lack of ventalation can cause heat stroke if its high heat in the coop. other things can be factors too like bio security. chickens can get lots of problems. Also please post pictures of your chickens comb and other chickens of same breed's comb and describe age differences. this info can aid our lovly chicken experts here on the forums.
Thank you! Ventilation is good and it's winter here so mostly 40-60 during the day. We have a very large run for just 4 chickens (8x12) and hutch is large enough for 8 birds. I don't have another Orpington to compare her to but I did attach a picture of her comb. Normally the comb is bright red and about double the size. She has a few tips that are now yellow. No wounds or black. My other chickens appear to be fine at the moment.

Attachments

• pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2
Was the bird vaccinated for Marek's disease as a chick? The paralysis that you described when you found her out in the run makes me think of Mareks, and so does the raised feathers on her head.
I'm by no means an expert - but I can tag a few

Last edited:
Was the bird vaccinated for Marek's disease as a chick? The paralysis that you described when you found her out in the run makes me think of Mareks, and so does the raised feathers on her head.
I'm by no means an expert - but I can tag a few
WelI I thought they were but I just looked it up and they were not. I thought it was Mareks as well but after all the "googling" I've done most say younger birds get it and she's 4 years old. I'll keep doing more research. Thank you so much!

WelI I thought they were but I just looked it up and they were not. I thought it was Mareks as well but after all the "googling" I've done most say younger birds get it and she's 4 years old. I'll keep doing more research. Thank you so much!
Wow! Ok, it's a very real possibility she does have Mareks as she fits most of the symptoms. I'll keep an eye on her and try some vitamins too in case it's a deficiency. She doesn't appear to be in pain so I'm not ready to go down the cull route just yet. Thank you for your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom