My 4 year old leghorn stopped laying gigantuous eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by parrotschickens, Oct 30, 2012.

1. parrotschickens

parrotschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2012
    Montana
    She has always layed enormous eggs not real consistent though. About a month and a half ago she had yolk coming out of her so I soaked her in a tub and made sure to get any egg parts out of her. After a couple days she perked back up but ever since she hasn't layed an egg. Does anyone think because she lays such big eggs mabey she can't handle it anymore?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Oh dear. I suspect the reason she stopped laying is because she is laying them into her abdominal cavity, or may have EYP since she had yolk running out of her. Has her abdomen swelled at all since she's had these problems?

3. parrotschickens

May 24, 2012
    Montana
    I don't really know but I will go check and get back to you. Thanks for your input!!!

4. parrotschickens

May 24, 2012
    Montana
    I couldn't catch her but she looks just fine fisty as ever eating up a storm. She isn't suffering I hope internally?

5. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    You need to examine your bird. Nighttime is the best time to get them. Chickens usually don't complain about illness or pain. You have to do that for them.

6. parrotschickens

May 24, 2012
    Montana
    I caught her, looked at her vent clean as a whistle. Felt for swollen abdomen or swollen anywhere and everything seems fine. Any other suggestions everyone? Should I just figure that's normal for her? Could she just be in some kind of egg cycle?Or do they do that?I took a picture of her and I will be uploading it tonight.

7. parrotschickens

May 24, 2012
    Montana
    Forgot to say i did call about a fecal test and will try to get a sample tomorrow to take it in! Thanks for that suggestion!

8. parrotschickens

May 24, 2012
    Montana
    Disregard about the fecal test i just posted, wrong thread.

9. parrotschickens

May 24, 2012
    Montana
    Here's my leghorn.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by