My 4 yr old got attacked by my roo- any advice for prevention?

I had a similar problem, except that the rooster attacked me, not a child. I was so concerned that my neighbor's grandchildren would get attacked that I couldn't, in good conscience, keep the rooster. And this was a rooster that I had incubated, hatched and adored! He was my favorite. I put an ad on craigslist, noting that my rooster was too beautiful to be chicken pot pie, and the next day I had a home for him. The new owners are thrilled and I don't have to be afraid for what might have happened.
It just isn't worth the 'what if'.

Quote:
Sorry, have to disagree about chickens not being able to be taught. Though you can't put a chicken through obedience training like a dog, there have been some on this board who have successfully rehabilitated their roos. However, as a small child is involved, I would recommend culling the roo, though, that could mean just finding him a new home.

As to the pet issue, in the words of my DH, if it jumps on your lap to be petted, it's a pet. Some people have chickens for food only, some of us have them for eggs and as pets. Both are fine reasons.

I had a rooster that attacked both my kids. I put him in a pen the boys didn't go in and worked with him for months. He never got better. I eventually re-homed him but told the guy that I gave him to about him. I was just going to eat him but my neighbor begged me for him.

Anyway, yes, they can be worked with, but there are far too many nice roosters out there to put up with a mean one. I have 3 mature roos right now that I have absolutely no problems with.
smile.png

A rooster has 2 jobs, to mate and to protect his flock. Unfortunately that doesn't necessarily make him the best pet, especially for children. While I would never tolerate an overly aggressive roo, either, it's is far less likely to be a problem for a full-sized adult to deal with an occasional 'outburst' of aggression and put the roo in his place. With a child, it is just too easy for them to do permanent damage even if they only ever act out once.

I think it is Miss Prissy who always says you'd never let a child in the same pen as a stallion or a bull, so why would you let them in with a rooster. All those raging male hormones plus a sharp beak and spurs are a dangerous combination. Better to err on the side of caution and keep the two separate by either penning up the roo and not letting the child in with him, or getting rid of the roo altogether if you don't really need one for breeding or protection.

Quote:
Excellent advice. Interactions with very small children and roosters should always be supervised, and an adult should be ready to step in if the rooster is getting out of hand.

Remember, the rooster only understands defense of the flock and the pecking order. Either he's going to treat you like a member of the flock (ranked higher or lower than he is) or he's going to treat you like a predator. How he determines how to respond to you will depend largely on your behavior around him and his hens.

That said, some roosters (and some breeds in general) are naturally more flighty and aggressive, which may lead to tough decisions later on.

Rooster-Red's page on Roo Behavior is still the best I've seen.

Roosters don't give a crap if a small child adores and respects them or not. The problem is....he doesn't respect the child.

You have two options here - never let the child expose herself to him again - or - remove him from the premises.

Only the child will lose this battle if she is allowed to remain in his presense.

Ok I hear all of you. I guess our favorite roo Mr. Prince Roo will be either our first crock pot chicken or rehomed...It is sad but I get it. I do have to get rid of some roos anyway.
So I do want to have fertile eggs....I wonder if I should keep the lowest on the pecking order roo? He is a lt Brahma.
Thanks all for the comments.

Back
Top Bottom