My 4x6 Pallet Coop Build (Completed, PIC HEAVY)

Next the roof's angle is cut into each end. I honestly don't remember how I arrived at the angle I chose,,,it wasn't very organized, just based on what was pleasing to my eye. At any rate, the lines were drawn onto the gable ends and cut with a skilsaw. I used a guide board screwed down as a straightedge to make the cut, worked just like a fence on a table saw and the result was a very nice cut as you can see. The second picture will show the guide board laid out ready to make the cut. Also notice in this first picture the gap between boards on the gable ends. This was both for ventilation and also to make the rafter boards fit better.

Second pic shows the guide board in place ready to make the cut:

That is my Pepper, in the bottom right, she is always keeping me company while I'm working.

The next picture shows both ends with roof line cuts finished:

Starting to take shape, I was very pleased with the progress at this point. My purchased plans actually were designed for a smaller coop and didn't use rafters, but simply placed boards on the roofline letting the gable end cuts serve as rafters. I made my coop larger than the plan called for, and wanted to add rafters to help support the 6 foot span. I also wanted to overhang my roof by about a foot to extend the roof's dripline in such a way that rainwater dripping wouldn't fall on the sides of the coop. In my research phase here on BYC, I read a couple threads where horizontal 'siding' type pallet boards could sort of 'wick' rainwater into the cracks between boards.....so I extended the roof line (overhang) a bit. This also made the roof 8 feet long and was another reason I chose to beef up the structure with a few rafters:

Next I cut in the people access door. Of course the door opening was not framed at this point, so the door is marked out to the desired size, then holes are drilled in the corners to mark the opening on the inside. Connect these four holes with pencil, then the opening was framed with pallet boards screwed in. After framing the opening was cut using a skilsaw and hand saw. The door is fashioned from the cut out boards laid flat and held together with the "Z" shaped boards (more 1x4 pallet boards). You can see the door in the first picture but here is a second view of the 'people' door:

The window openings will be sized, framed in, and cut in the same fashion as the door. I also forgot to mention that I spent another $10 getting new 2x4's for the rafters. Enough for now, I'll post some more pics tomorrow....stay tuned!

Just a quick couple pictures to post...the first one is from last fall after installing the OSB plywood on the roof. Both of these sheets were free. One of the sheets had quite a few holes, it had been used as an arrow backstop, lol. Doesn't matter though, as the OSB will have tin installed over it. The open groove let into the roof's peak is ventilation, air comes in through the ends of the rafters and vents out the roof.

Next picture was taken just a couple weeks ago, you may have seen my other post about this. I was kinda torn on what to use for windows. I was looking for small "shed" windows, or the "coop" windows you see advertised on ebay for about 25.00 each, but I couldn't find any locally and had the itch to finish the project. I decided to just wing it and make my own. This picture shows the tin roof installed and I've hung cardboard templates for windows...I used the templates to try different size windows until I liked how it looked, before actually cutting them out. I have also painted the exterior pallet boards with 'barn stain'. This paint I got off the 'mistake' bin at Lowe's ( I LOVE getting cheap paint that way) for 5 bucks, it was high dollar stuff at full retail. The barn paint/stain works very good on the rough pallet boards, soaks in nicely and very easy to brush on with good coverage in one coat. The corrugated tin was from Lowe's too, and is the most expensive purchase, cost about 50.00.

The tin started rusting very soon after I installed it, not sure if I got a bad batch of tin or if I installed it upside down or what. I have one other small coop I made a tin roof for, and it did not rust like this
sad.png
somad.gif
I havn't figured out what to do about that yet....I'm open to suggestions. I was thinking to brush it clean a bit, then put a coat of polyurethane on....we'll see.

Next post will show the windows cut out and shutters made and installed...stay tuned
smile.png

It looks great! I would buy a can of Rustoleum (not the spray kind) and paint it with that, after cleaning it with fine steel wool.

Thank you all for the positive comments. Okay, a few more progress pics...

Took the plunge and cut the first window using the circle saw, you can see my helpers were really excited at the progress:

I was pretty excited at how well the first window went too, so I cut the other one out and installed the window trim around both:

Next I used the cut out boards to fashion shutters and installed the first set:

These are actual working shutters and will be closed during the winter and during storms, here is a pic showing the shutters in closed position....I was very pleased with how they turned out!

I gotta tell you, at this point in the project, after not making any progress for several months....I'm really enjoying seeing the results and its very motivating. I finished the other set of shutters and broke out the paint brush...

We are in the homestretch now! More painting and detail work left. Still need to cut the pop door. Also, I've already built and installed the nest box on the back but don't have pictures of that yet. Stay tuned...

Hi! Awesome coop and I love the linoleum idea - what are you planning on using as bedding over that linoleum? Would sand work?

Back
Top Bottom