My 4x6 Pallet Coop Build (Completed, PIC HEAVY)

Wow, I know I'm late and I may or may not have commented but I love this! My coop will be a mish mash of others but definately inspired by yours, especially since I plan on using pallets too!

such a cute coop!!!!!!
smile.png

Thanks to all for the compliments! This thread has gotten alot of traffic and I'm glad. It was one way I could give back to the BYC Forum community, because most of what I learned for raising my back yard flock was from this website. When I decided to build my coop out of pallets and did a google search, there were very few pics of pallet coops having the look I wanted. So I posted alot of pics....hopefully the images will be useful to others.

I started pulling apart my pallets today using a sawzall. I have one question how do I use it on the middle where the boards are attached? I'm not having very good luck with that part. And I keep breaking boards.

I started pulling apart my pallets today using a sawzall. I have one question how do I use it on the middle where the boards are attached? I'm not having very good luck with that part. And I keep breaking boards.

On the middle joint prize apart the joint with a pry bar enough to get a sawzall blade inside the joint, then switch to a metal cutting blade and cut the nails in half. A sawzall is definitely a good tool for breaking down pallets, but not the tool I used. look back to the very beginning of my thread, I took lots pics of the process I used. With a sawzall you can either cut the nails with a metal cutting blade worked in the joint, Or you can cut the ends aff the planks (wood cutting blade) and then prize the middle joint appoint. Not all pallets are built the same, either. If assembled with nails it's harder to pull them with hammer and pliers. If assembled with staples they are easier to pull apart with pry bars. I deliberately chose pallets with long 1x4's and stapled joints.

You definitely will experience some breakage and waste in your process of breaking down the pallets, that's just part of it. I got better and better at the process as I went along. Patience was definitely a virtue lol.

Hope this helps

Do you have someone that can weld ? If so I built a tool that works pretty good and can give you dimensions and a photo.

Back
Top Bottom