My 5 month olds are nesting in the nestboxes & not roosting

LA~Poulet

Songster
13 Years
Apr 27, 2009
near Lake Charles, LA
on the higher perches... UGG! Dirty nestbox material every day, and that is where my older hens lay. How can I teach them that nest boxes are not for their sleeping pleasure?

Well what you can do is to go at night and physically move them to the roosts. After a few nights they should get the hang of it as well.

Its what I would do since you already have laying hens....you could close off the nesting boxes at night too so they cannot get in, and then open them first thing.

I thought about closing the boxes at night, but the laying hens sometimes are up earlier than we are
hmm.png

There is a cockerel & 4 pullets that seem to be the culprits. I will try blocking them off tonight, and then maybe moving the block once it is dark.

The roosts are already at least 6" or 8" higher than the nest boxes, I thought they actually might be too high or too hard to access? So maybe a wider perch would work? I had no idea they liked wider.

Can they reach the roost? I don't know how high your roost is, but sometimes they are not surefooted and have to learn to jump or fly up. Also, are the older girls letting them up onto the roost?

You can try putting something on the floor like a large bucket so they can jump up on that and then to the roost?

Just an idea. I have a mini-perch they like to use as an in between step to the roost.

Well, I just went out with my flashlight and it was only one of my pullets and 2 of my old laying hens. Color me surprised! I helped them find the roosts & hope they stay there.

LA~Poulet :

The roosts are already at least 6" or 8" higher than the nest boxes, I thought they actually might be too high or too hard to access? So maybe a wider perch would work? I had no idea they liked wider.

Yes, they really do, it is much more comfortable for them. Chicken feet are not designed to wrap around a branch like many other birds' are. They can do it, and sometimes will to get a high spot, but it is not the most comfy way to rest for them.​

Back
Top Bottom