my 5 week old chicks keep fighting

Katedw69

In the Brooder
May 14, 2020
I am brand new to chicken raising. I have 5 week old chicks. I just moved them out to their new coop. I dont have an established flock so I don't have to worry about introducing birds. There is plenty of space. I know they are very nervous because of being in a totally new environment but they are fighting like never before. Should I do something? Is this normal? I know pecking order but they are fighting like cocks fight (and supposedly they are all pullets!)

I am brand new to chicken raising. I have 5 week old chicks. I just moved them out to their new coop. I dont have an established flock so I don't have to worry about introducing birds. There is plenty of space. I know they are very nervous because of being in a totally new environment but they are fighting like never before. Should I do something? Is this normal? I know pecking order but they are fighting like cocks fight (and supposedly they are all pullets!)
Welcome to BYC!!!! We are lucky to have you.

How big of a space are they in and how many chicks do you have? What food feeders and waterers are you using? Are they in a run or just a coop? Where is it located?

Welcome to BYC!!!! We are lucky to have you.

How big of a space are they in and how many chicks do you have? What food feeders and waterers are you using? Are they in a run or just a coop? Where is it located?
9 chicks in a 4x10 coop lots of roosts. It was their first night in it. I do have a big run but I've read over and over to just keep them in the coop until they are comfortable and feel like its their home so they go in by themselves at night so I was just keeping them in that for now. Its in my yard (I have 2 acres) I turned the heat lamp off during the days but turn it off at night and I have hanging feeders and water bucket with the little cups.

What does keep fighting mean? If you see them puffing their chests/flapping wings at or against each other once a minute or so that is entirely normal behavior even for pullets at this age. The text you posted doesn’t indicate serious problems with the setup you have.

if by keep fighting you mean they are constantly pecking each other to blood that’s a serious problem. But a small skirmish every 15-30 seconds will be noted at periods throughout the day while you watch your small chicks become used to pecking orders etc.

Back
Top Bottom