My 6 Ex Bats lay some eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rennie, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    These are my new additions to my flock.. 6 ex battery hens that look a little rough around the edges, As I only moved them in yesterday i wasnt expecting them to lay me anything for a couple of days at least .. To my surprise look what they gave me today .. The must really enjoy all the treats that ive been giving them (I need to help the one at the back though ..the pecking order is not being kind to her .. poor thing keeps getting pushed out)

[​IMG]

The 2 on the left are from my Bantam SLW ..The 2 on the right came from the new hens.. Im not sure which but i have my suspicions ..The far right one is probably the biggest egg i have ever got, Cant wait to try it [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

There is a good chance those eggs were already in the process of development before coming to your house...Just a thought...If they slack off a few days on laying they will come back around when they get comfortable with their new home. [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What ChickenCop said. I bought two layers from another BYC member and got eggs the next morning, which were in the process from the previous day at the old owner's location. Then the girls didn't lay for about five days. I counted myself lucky they got comfortable in their new home that quickly!

4. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    Wow those are some nice looking eggs!!

Where/how can you adopt ex-battery hens in the US?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by