My 6 hens don't roost!

Mine would always sit in their run on the ground. My husband started going out every evening when they would settle in for the night and he would take each one and put them on the roost. After three days they started roosting on their roost by themselves.

Good luck!

I go out and tuck mine in for bed each night - moving them from the top of the nest box area to the perch. Only the banty is on the perch each night when I go out, and she is the lowest in pecking order. The top of the next boxes (and the windows that hinge in and up) seem to be the preferred roosting places because they are higher up. I don't want them there because the mess is harder to clean from there, and I always forget and close a window, sending a shower of droppings to the floor and on my head of course!

Sometimes they'll be on the roost, but mostly I think they like getting tucked in by their chicken momma
wink.png
I like it too because it gives me a chance to check them over and do a head count.

I've just moved two groups into outside pens. In one is a rooster and hen, and the other is a rooster and four hens. There is an identical waterproof dog crate in each covered pen, and roosts made of tree branches that taper from two inches or so to four inches or so...one in each pen almost identical. Roosts are the same height and everything.

One pen the rooster and hens roost at night, and in the other the pair go into the crate and spend the night in there. I have no idea why except personal choice.

Terry in TN

I bought 4 silkies at a farmers market, and when they go to bed they all go to the same nest box and sleep together. It will be interesting to see what they will do in summer when it is warmer
big_smile.png

We hung smaller logs for my 'kids' to roost on. They range from 2" to 4" in diameter. Will these work in the winter to keep their toes warm? If you can't tell, I'm a new momma.

Last edited:
Okay....I thought that I was the only one with weird girls. My four Delaware pullets(15 weeks) all sleep on top of each other in one 12x12 inch nest box. None of them roost and they do not use the other side of the platform which is 24x 12 or even the floor of the coop for sleeping. They have always slept bunched up from the day I picked them up. Do you think that I will have trouble when they start to lay? How should I handle getting them out of the nest box? Should I put the other divider in so there are just three nest boxes? HELP!!!!

Okay....I thought that I was the only one with weird girls. My four Delaware pullets(15 weeks) all sleep on top of each other in one 12x12 inch nest box. None of them roost and they do not use the other side of the platform which is 24x 12 or even the floor of the coop for sleeping. They have always slept bunched up from the day I picked them up. Do you think that I will have trouble when they start to lay? How should I handle getting them out of the nest box? Should I put the other divider in so there are just three nest boxes? HELP!!!!

I have 3 orpingtons that are 13 weeks that do the same thing. How
Did you handle it? I can divide mine in 3 no problem (I think it's 12x36), but they all squish into one corner even if they have more room. Just trying to think ahead...

My 3 hens and a roo don't roost at night they sleep on the floor. The will hang out through the day but at night they sleep together on the floor.

Oh my this is an OLD thread.

Hoppersway,
Try putting them on the roost after they have gone to sleep. I personally just let mine figure it out. They eventually do.

Ya I saw that it was old .... but had to post. Last night it was raining so I went out after dark and put them up in there roost area and they stayed so I can't wait to see if they go on there own tonight
Thanks for the reply

Back
Top Bottom