My 6 week old frizzle is limping

janpeachey

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 7, 2013
Please help my 6 week old frizzle is limping and refusing to put her foot down for long. She is eating and drinking fine and kinda walking around and still playing but it's upsetting for me to see I've checked her leg and no visible marks or wounds I've done massaging her leg and moving it an she don't seem in pain as she not bothered I'm moving it x she hasn't fell or dropped so I honestly don't know how it has happened but I'm worried about her any advice would be great xxx

Last edited:
There are three possible reasons- 1.)she might have fell 2.) if she has other playmates the could have bitten her legs, chicks can be rough 3.) if you are using newspaper for flooring dont do that. newspapers are very slippery to walk on and could cause eternal damage to your chicks legs, i advise you see a vet about this- it could be serious.
Good luck! i hope it feels better!
hmm.png

I have some questions that may help paint a picture.

How was the bird hatched, and was it vaccinated?
Is it walking on the top of it's foot or just not using it at all?
Has it been wasting?
What does it's eye look like?
Has it been wormed?
Is it gasping at all?
Has the condition got worse or is it stable since you first posted?

As the above person says, check the bedding if they are still on any and make sure it's not slippery.

It could be Marek's Disease. Is the leg paralyzed, or is she just not walking on it? You can test the strength of the leg by pressing against it, and then against the other normal leg. Also, press on the bottom of the injured foot and she if she curls her toes around your finger. This indicates that the leg is not fully paralyzed. Move each leg back and forth and compare similarities/differences.

A vitamin deficiency is a possibility. A deficiency of Vitamin B will cause problems walking. I'd start her on some vitamins. Probiotics and electrolytes wouldn't hurt, either.

If you have other chicks, keep an eye on them. If it is Marek's, it will take a while for all of the birds to be affected, if they ever do. If more birds start showing the same symptoms, vitamin deficiency becomes a more likely cause.

Keep us updated, and good luck!

Thanks everyone for your advice sorry not been on as I've been taking Marshall ( my chic) everywhere I can to see if she ok x she not ok :( she seems paralysed in both legs and her wings don't seem to be flapping she eating and drinking an very alert she can't stand at all and falls asleep every few seconds I hate seeing her like this I think I know what needs to be done but I'm ruling out every possible disease she could have x I got them at 3 weeks old so not sure how was born they r all vaccinated and wormed and I've always had them on shavings she hasn't fell as far as I know but she is 1 of 6 so could possible been stood on by the others x what do you think is best for me to do now Ive absolutely tried everything vitamins the hammock vets are stumped also x

Marek's vaccination isn't 100%. Unfortunately, your little chick could still have Marek's disease, and IMHO, that is what it sounds like. I am sorry...

I would be tentativly leaning towards Marek's too.

Have a look for some info on that and see if they symptoms match up. Brace yourself as there is much information to take in. As the above poster say's, MD vacc is not 100%.

If it is, the news is not good.

Back
Top Bottom