my 7 day old chick's legs seem to be displayed...

mamaboyd

Songster
12 Years
Jun 6, 2007
Kendal.Ontario,Canada
Okay, about 3 days ago we noticed one of our chicks to have a leg that stuck out to the side. It was able to get around alright and eat and drink just fine. This morning I went into the chicken coop to find that both it's legs are sticking out to the sides and one of it's wings is also staying straight out. It could barely move. I think over the night it got piled on by the other chicks. I have brought it in the house and put it in a cardboard box with a towel. I will peck at the food and take sips of water, but it really can't move well. Is there anything I can do to help it's legs not stick out like put some kind of splint on it or something?? We are new to this whole chicken business so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks, Trish:/

So far, so good. Chick is moving around a little more, probably wondering what the heck is holding it's legs together though. It's eating and drinking and pooping fine, so hopefully within another week it will be just fine. i'm thinking if this one does okay, he's going to become our "pet" chicken and not be used for meat like all his buddies will be. After all this work and everything he's been through, how could I possibly send him off to the processor.
hmm.png

Now I have to give this little fella a bath, he has poop on his feathers, what's the best way to do this? Also, should I put one of his mates in with him(could be a her, too young to tell), so that it won't get lonely, it's chirping an awful lot.
Thanks,
Trish

Back
Top Bottom