my 8 wk old Royal palms...pics and questions

Old McDonald 27

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Alabama
Hi everyone. These are my only 2 surviving royal palm poults. they will be 8 weeks old on monday. They only have a little bit of black showing on their wings and a bit on their backs. Is that normal? Also do you guys think hen or tom??? They both have feathers on back of their necks and I have read that should mean hen...but I'm pretty new to turkeys so I may be wrong. I have 6 more eggs in the bator due to hatch on tuesday(hopefully). And my hen just started setting again this morning. My tom and hen are in my front goat pasture, it is 3 acres and only has 2 turkeys, 3 nigerian dwarf goats, and a great pyranese in it... hopefully it will soon be full of turkeys!!! These two girls are still in a little 8X8 coop that I usually use for bantams. How soon do you think I should put them out with the others? Thanks for all your help! Jessica
26129_pict0413_2.jpg

26129_pict0415.jpg

26129_pict0431_2.jpg

26129_pict0417_2.jpg

8 weeks old ? hmm.. can you guestimate what age this little dude/dudette is?
not even sure what gender it is.
as to the other issues.. not sure .Mine is still in with the guineas at this age. But I am new to this turkey thing also.Unless its just theway you took the picture.. the turkey on the left looks like it has less feathers on its neck perhaps? Maybe he is a tom then? They pretty birds tho.
Sorry i cant be or more help with it.
Good luck on your turkey rasing..
thumbsup.gif

Petra
Here is Jive Turkey
Picture308.jpg

Unless its just theway you took the picture.. the turkey on the left looks like it has less feathers on its neck

I think that it is the angle of the pick...they both seem to have about the same. That is their RIR buddy in the pic with them. She is 1 day older than them. Your little one looks to be maybe a week or two younger than mine??? I started out with 6, but the hen wasn't a good momma and by the time they where a week old I was down to 3. I took them from her then and put them in the brooder. I moved them to the pen they are in now at about 4-5weeks old that is where they have been since. I don't want to move them out too fast...but I feel sorry for them stuck in the coop when they could be out free ranging!​

Back
Top Bottom