My 80 cent Meyer specials

Ill take some more pictures of the barn WHEN IT WARMS UP. Brr. Now realize that I had an open barn built because I live in Florida. Ill also weigh some of these before the weekend. I think I will start the biggest ones this weekend.

Edit: Today they are 7 weeks. So I just grabbed my scale and went out to the barn. I stood on the scale for reference (Holy Crap!!!!), and picked up 3 victims, er, I mean volunteers. They weigh 5.5, 6, and 4.5 pounds. I think doing the biggest ones this weekend, and the rest next weekend should be just right.

Last edited:
Where is their a Myers in Florida??? Or did you have them shipped to you??? I am getting ready to do a batch of cornish cross hens when it warms up around here again. I'm in central FL.

Quote:
Woo hoo! Mine are right there with yours...the half my friend has are a tad fatter...she has kids that "help feed" and throw extra stuff to hers when she's not looking (tiny hands can be such big helpers...sort of)...anyways...cool beans
smile.png
I like knowing mine are chugging along at a good pace growing
smile.png
Thank you for sharing!

CX are so entertaining. I had one that was the only meatie that I got to be a buddy to a lone chick and I actually felt bad for it. It was like that fat kid that everyone at school makes fun of. Different though when they've got other CX around them, way different. Just great little guys though. I hated to do in the half dozen on so I raised before that but no tears were shed during the process, they just looked too darn tasty. And were.

And the lone one? I ended up doing it in when it got so it not only couldn't keep up with the others, it quit even trying. I guess you could say it was a sure cure for chicken depression. I felt extra bad for that one, but again no tears, too tasty. Like Joel Salatin says, he only had one bad day really.

Oh and as for the bare bottoms, they all look that way cause they're too young to have feathers there and their bodies sort of outgrow what they do have.

Last edited:
Bless those little bald butts! They look quite busy and happy. The wistful look on the sheltie is a one time shot. I'd frame that photo.

Well, first 2 victims present and accounted for. Im not as good as so many others here in keeping records. I grabbed 2 of them last night, weighed them...around 5.5 pounds each. Put them in a dog crate for the night. This morning I went out, hung them up, snipped their throats....they sure have a lot more blood than regular birds, it seems. I skinned them, brought them in, parted them out in breasts and quarters, cut up the rest for puppies, backs, gizzards, livers...gorgeous big healthy livers, hearts, kidneys. I put 2 breasts in a package, and 4 quarters in the other. The breast package weighed 3.2 pounds, and the quarters weighs 2.8. I probably doesnt sound like a lot, but they are really big and meaty. Im really happy with them.

I almost started to pluck one, but was getting nervous about the time it was taking. I might do one tomorrow and pluck it. I started plucking one today just for fun, the feathers came out so easy, and I didnt even hot dunk it. Just plucked. Might try that on the next one, was much easier than I thought it would be.

5004_carcass.jpg

5004_carcass1.jpg

Just for fun, Ive tried to figure out the cost. Figures are only approximate, since I had lots of other chicks eating the same food, tho they didnt eat near what the CX did. I bought 400 pounds of unmedicated chick starter for them. I still have about 40 pounds left, so that will probably last until I get the rest in the freezer (I hope). Chick starter ran around $19 a hundred, so thats $76, divided by 24 birds equals $3.16 per bird. Very rough estimates.

Back
Top Bottom