My 9 month old Cornish X roo 15 pounds

It's nice that you are able to give him a happy life. He is a beautiful rooster. Do you have any expectations on his lifespan? I've heard stories of a cornish X hen living five years, but have no proof that she did. I'm also surprised that he was fertile, most cornish crosses to my knowledge are sterile. Or maybe the roosters get to heavy to mount? Sorry, about my thinking out loud, I'll have to do some research!

Congratulations on keeping him healthy and happy!

Looks to me like the chicken is having a good life good job. Hope he makes you lots of chicks.
Thanks I try to keep Him on a diet. Give a lot of roaming space and lots of girls to keep him active...its 3: 39 in the morning and he's already crowing his lungs out if that doesn't give him cardiac arrest I don't know what will.

At fi
It's nice that you are able to give him a happy life. He is a beautiful rooster. Do you have any expectations on his lifespan? I've heard stories of a cornish X hen living five years, but have no proof that she did. I'm also surprised that he was fertile, most cornish crosses to my knowledge are sterile. Or maybe the roosters get to heavy to mount? Sorry, about my thinking out loud, I'll have to do some research!

Congratulations on keeping him healthy and happy!
Maybe a year? December will be 1 year. At first that's what I thought, was thinking maybe I had to inseminate until he mated with the jungle fowl at 6 months old and weigh 13 llbs before my eyes. It was horrible cuz jungle fowl hen was just 2.5 pounds. That's more than 5 time the size. But I did get fertilized eggs and I did get some pretty heavy cross breeds. Maybe I will gave him for Christmas, the legs are HUGE, definitely the biggest chicken I have ever seen.

Last edited:
At fi

Maybe a year? December will be 1 year. At first that's what I thought, was thinking maybe I had to inseminate until he mated with the jungle fowl at 6 months old and weigh 13 llbs before my eyes. It was horrible cuz jungle fowl hen was just 2.5 pounds. That's more than 5 time the size. But I did get fertilized eggs and I did get some pretty heavy cross breeds. Maybe I will gave him for Christmas, the legs are HUGE, definitely the biggest chicken I have ever seen.
Do you have other roosters or is he your only one?

I have 5 Cornish x hens left out of 30 I think this Friday will be the day I just haven’t had time to process them they are at least 15 pounds one mybe much more I will find out. They are a little over 4 months old and have been laying eggs for a couple of weeks to my surprise they look like short turkeys they get around fine but not fast. I had some last year that dressed out at 9 pounds and would and did feed 12 people.

At fi

At first that's what I thought, was thinking maybe I had to inseminate until he mated with the jungle fowl at 6 months old and weigh 13 llbs before my eyes. It was horrible cuz jungle fowl hen was just 2.5 pounds. That's more than 5 time the size. But I did get fertilized eggs and I did get some pretty heavy cross breeds

Oh! Did he hurt the hen? I used to keep cochin bantams in a mixed flock(so many other breeds) with an RIR rooster. He was huge, and one day he decided the cochins were his next target... :/
I live in a very wet muddy climate(only during Winter) so when I saw a mud caked cochin I decided it was time to rehome them...

This is quite an interesting experiment, how did you get this rooster(So sorry if you've already said so in the thread)? Also if you don't mind me asking, what country/state are you in? Could climate have anything to do with the overall wellbeing of a cornish cross? I'm sorry for the far fetched questions, but things like these interest me

Oh! Did he hurt the hen? I used to keep cochin bantams in a mixed flock(so many other breeds) with an RIR rooster. He was huge, and one day he decided the cochins were his next target... :/
I live in a very wet muddy climate(only during Winter) so when I saw a mud caked cochin I decided it was time to rehome them...

This is quite an interesting experiment, how did you get this rooster(So sorry if you've already said so in the thread)? Also if you don't mind me asking, what country/state are you in? Could climate have anything to do with the overall wellbeing of a cornish cross? I'm sorry for the far fetched questions, but things like these interest me
No she's fine..I bought 25 he was looking like young chick at 2 months so decided to keep him his growth happened late I guess. I'm in Jamaica.

Do you cook? I'm looking to learn how to properly make Jamacian curry chicken. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom