My 9 month old hen is straining really bad to lay an egg! How can I help her?

Skyleen13

Songster
Apr 24, 2020
Update: she passed her egg but it broke in the process. Was a big egg. Had a little blood on the egg so it hurt for her to lay it.

I’ve got a 9 month old cream legbar hen. She’s been laying beautiful robin egg blue eggs for last 2 months. Never had a problem until today. When I went out this afternoon she seemed to be very uncomfortable. Hunched up. Squatting & straining. She’s got poop dribbling out of her vent & I can briefly see an egg she’s trying to pass. The other hens are harassing her & unfortunately so is my younger rooster. Normally she’d have no problem outrunning all my other hens but she can’t seem to run right now. I’m highly concerned!

I managed to catch her & I could feel what I think is a really BIG egg she’s trying to lay.it might be to big. I’ve placed her in our sick ward coop that the other birds can’t get to. I’m hoping that with some quiet alone time will help her lay her egg.

My questions are thus. If she can’t pass it by the next time I go out to check her (which will be in the next 30 minutes) what can I do to help her? Is she possibly egg bound? How can I help her lay her egg? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Put her in a container of warm water up to her sides. While she is soaking, gently massage her underside front to rear. The warm water will relax her innards and massaging will help her lay the egg. Do this for about 30 minutes. You can put olive oil just inside her vent and around the outside of the vent to make it easier for her to lay the egg.

Put her in a container of warm water up to her sides. While she is soaking, gently massage her underside front to rear. The warm water will relax her innards and massaging will help her lay the egg. Do this for about 30 minutes. You can put olive oil just inside her vent and around the outside of the vent to make it easier for her to lay the egg.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom