My 'africans' turned out to be.....

IF you don't plan on selling any eggs or anything I wouldn't worry about getting a permit. but if you do plan on selling, It might be wise to get one.

i do wildife rehab and my suggestion, if you dont want to keep them, would be let them pretty much raise themselves, youve got a few so theyll imprint on eachother and know their geese, have as little hands on interaction with you, feed and such but no "cuddles" and then when they get old enough if there pure canada the instinct to migrate will typically kick in and theyll often just fly away of their own accord when the time is right, though dont be suprised if they come home once a year lol.

if you do want to keep them, i dont think you need a permit unless your planning on selling the eggs/goslings, but you will typically need a covered pen for them because they can and usually will fly.

good luck.

I know I'd need a permit to keep them, regardless of what I do with them. They are supposed to be rendered flightless if domesticated, so they can't 'just fly away'. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them, I don't want canada geese. They are pretty, but too much hassle.

Strong possibility that if you hand them over to the Game Warden your babies are going to be either destroyed or rendered flightless anyway. I agree with bagenderhens, if you have access to a pond where wild geese congregate that would be an excellent solution for them, otherwise maybe you can find a wildlife rehabilitator to take them and integrate them.

The whole rendering a migrating bird flightless to me is insane cruelty. The desire to fly away comes on and they are incapable and have to watch the other birds of their species migrate, or not as so many Canadians no longer migrate. Still...
barnie.gif
Okay, off my soap box.

If they are Canadians they should be allowed to be what nature intended them to be.

Last edited:
I understand that, but I think the reason they are rendered flightless is because if a 'tame' wild goose is flying around, it makes an easy target. These are tame, I've had them for 3 weeks thinking they were africans. Even if I ignored them now, they'd probably always be tame.

honestly, the Wild canada geese here could be tame, they know people have food plain and simple, ive never seen a problem however with them becomming easier targets due to being captive raised.

the rehab center neer me "rehabs" wild waterfowl much the same way...they let them be with eachother, once there feathered enough to be outside most human contact ends, humans bring food but dont provide any social or mental stimulation...and eventually they move on...

weve got 6 canadas that joined a wild flock on the wetlands neer my house that were rehabed this way...

if the game warden neer you is anything like here, the sanctuaries are full, zoos dont want them, neither do most farms and by the time there "found out" the geese are often too accustomed to people to be "properly rehabilitated" and are slaughtered...
if you dont want to keep them id try leaving them to "go wild" and hopefully they will remove themselves fo you.

or you could place them "for adoption" to a sancturay or private person, if anything happens say you were aware its illegal to SELL them, but not aware of any rules reguarding giving them away...explain the situation...

or just give them to a rehabber who should be able to get themback into their natural habitat.

im sorry your going through this, wish youd have gotten the guys name so he could be reported.

I know a guy that had some canada geese make homes on their pond and then they just homesteaded the place they come back every year and they let him pick em up and love em and the babies hatch out and are friendly too so he loves it and as far as a permit well what 's a permit he didn't ask for them they took him in ha ha .

Back
Top Bottom