My ameracauna hen keeps passing out!

Lakesidechicks

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 30, 2013
Longmont Colorado
I have 5 Ameracauna hens that are almost 6 months old and have just started laying. Yesterday while installing a new coop door one of the girls just passed out on the ground right next to me! She literally just fell over, eyes closed, wasn't moving for about 10 seconds and then another hen made a noise and she popped right back up. Then again today I was outside with them and she fell over again! After I saw her fall over I watched her closely and she kept closing her eyes like she was falling asleep. Even when she would start walking around her eyes were still closed and then she would stop walking and her head would start to droop and she looked like she was about to fall over again.
I have never seen any of my girls do this and it's making me nervous! Does this hen have narcolepsy?? What should I do?!

Wow, that's sad to hear. I think to be on the safe side you might want to contact a school or a vet that knows something about chickens. I was thinking maybe a cluster of mini strokes. I hope she gets better! When you find out please post what happened.

Is she in the sun when she does this? When mine find a good warm spot, they sort of flop over on their side with one wing out. Sometimes they'll even walk a little ways all lop sided with the wing still stretched out, eyes half closed and all.

Have you researched mareks disease? Causes paralysis in the legs and sometimes the neck droops. I suspected one of mine of this but hasnt shown symptoms in 2 weeks. Hoping it was caused by her first lay

Back
Top Bottom