My Ameraucanas don't know to chicken.

Susan Dye

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 25, 2017
Staunton, Va
I have 4 pullets who will be reaching their maturity in another 3 weeks, so about 19 weeks old. They forage well, eat well, greet me easily, and are quick to put my little miniature poodle in her place if she gets too curious. They do occasionally fly over their fence to do a walk about where the grass is of course greener, but their easy to corral back into their yard. The problem, if it is one, is that instead of perching on their perches when they go in to roost, they all crowd together on a very narrow ledge along the wall. There is a vent where they perch so most of their poop goes out the vent, which is good on one hand. On the other hand, it's landing on top of the door to the nests. Not sure if they will eventually stop on their own or not. Or, if I should go ahead and block access to the ledge. Been considering getting another couple of more mature hens to show them how to chicken. If I do, I would like to do so soon, so they can settle in before these girls start laying. How's that for an excuse to add to the flock? lol
Any ideas, suggestions?

You may need to "show" them where to perch, if you don't want them perching on the ledge. Start by temporarily blocking off the ledge somehow. After dark, go and move them from the ledge to the perch. If they hop down, put them back on the perch (if it's dark enough, the may not hop down). Continue to move them for the next few nights. Eventually they will get the hint.

You may need to "show" them where to perch, if you don't want them perching on the ledge. Start by temporarily blocking off the ledge somehow. After dark, go and move them from the ledge to the perch. If they hop down, put them back on the perch (if it's dark enough, the may not hop down). Continue to move them for the next few nights. Eventually they will get the hint.
I thought about that. They know how to use the perch and start off on it. One even sticks with it for a short while after everyone else moves to the ledge. I was kind of hoping getting another hen or two would teach them without stressing them out as much as human interference. Still, might give a try and see how it works out. Thanks.

Even if you added some hens the hens will likely copy what they see the pullets doing. Nevermind you'd need to integrate them in first, before all of that.

Any photos of the roost vs the ledge? You might need to block the ledge, or make the roosts more appealing.

Back
Top Bottom