My Ameraucana's -Pullets or Roos?? Added Pic's post #12

steffpeck

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Erda, UT
Here are some of my chicks that I got from Pips&Peeps (Jean). They are about 6 1/2 weeks old. I also have some Blue's but didn't take their pic's because there are a lot of them. And I have 2 whites, and looking at them, I am pretty sure I have a pair.

Blacks - I think I have a pair??
BlackAmer.jpg

Silver - I think it is a pullet?
SilverAmer.jpg

Splash - I think, I am not sure.
roll.png

SplashAmer1.jpg

SplashAmer4.jpg

Blue Wheatens?? I think 2 roos & 2 pullets??
WheatenAmer.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
The two larger ones on the bottom picture look like they could be cockerels. Not sure on the others though but they look real nice so far!

On the 3 Splash ones, the middle one seems to have a smaller comb and smaller feet. I would guess that one is a pullet.

ETA: They are all really pretty!!! I have been wondering what kind of chick I have and after seeing yours, she looks similar to your Blue Wheaten ones. Thanks for posting pics!

Last edited:
the only ones I can tell you(because I got some from her too) is on the bottom.
l-r
wheaten roo
blue wheaten roo
blue wheaten pullet
wheaten roo

I am still not positive on my silvers

SunAngel- if you did not get your birds from a breeder then you most likely have easter eggers, a lot of hatcheries sell them as Ameraucana, Araucana, Americana, etc. but thet are just pretty mix breeds that lay colored eggs(usually)

I was just wondering how you can tell...I have a blue and a splash that were the only two hatches out of 8 eggs and they both look the same as far as their combs are concerned. They are 3 mo.s old now and still have pale combs, at least what there is of a comb.

Steff:

Just got in from another visit to the ER.....

The blacks both look like "Pats" to me at this point. Hopefully you have watched SNL before.
lau.gif

On the silver it looks like a pullet, but the best way to tell is to see if the bird has any peachy/salmon colored feathers on the breast. The boys will feather in just black with white spots.

I think I see a cockerel and a pullet in the splash pictures. I think the smaller one is a white. I am sorry to say it looks like a runt, no idea on the sex at this point.
hu.gif

And I concur that you have a wheaten cockerel, a blue wheaten cockerel, a pullet of undetermined wheaten variety (could be wheaten, blue wheaten or splash wheaten, leaning towards blue wheaten) and a wheaten cockerel in the pictures.

If you can see 3 ridges on the comb from a distance like the one the blacks are at then you got most likely a roo. Pullets you may see 1 ridge in the middle but other then that the comb would be very flat and some what covered by the feathers(like the silver).

Also from all the ameraucanas I hatched this year only 1 was a pullet........ so I have gotten pretty certain with spotting roosters(or maybe I am just paranoid? Dunno, but all I got looked like roosters as 1 week olds and still do as couple month olds).

Back
Top Bottom