My Americana isn't walking or eating.

I have two 7 week old americanas doing the same exact thing I've been pushing water and keeping warm and in a quite place not really pooping cause there not eatting any other suggestions for this would help so far everyone else is fine

It could be sour crop or crop bound. You need to take their food out at night and then check them first thing in the morning before they have a chance to eat something. Crop should be small or empty. If it's still as large as the night before, it is either sour crop or crop bound. There are very many topics on both here. I would do a search to look for discussions on how to treat it. If its crop bound, sometimes there isn't anything you can do, but surgery.
Are your young birds on grass or hay? Do they have access to chick grit? If they have access to grass or hay, I would remove them from that. Especially hay. If they have no grit available, get some. Not enough feeders and raising them on hay, or maybe even straw, usually results in a bird or two getting crop bound. Reason being, they are low on the totem pole and get chased from the feeders so they eat the trash in the yard. Or even boredom could cause them to eat stuff they shouldn't. Hay or long grass will ball up in the crop and cause them to become crop bound and starve to death. Very hard to resolve crop bound birds. It's best to take measures to avoid it. Use large pine shavings, extra feeding stations and have grit available.

I have two 7 week old americanas doing the same exact thing I've been pushing water and keeping warm and in a quite place not really pooping cause there not eatting any other suggestions for this would help so far everyone else is fine

Once you find out if their crops are or aren't going down at night, you need to find out if it's sour crop or an impacted crop. They're treated completely differently. I've been able to help get chickens over both, but that might not always be the case. Stop giving her water, other than in a dish at her free will, until you find out what it is. The excess water could make it feel like sour crop when it isn't. Sour crop will feel like a large water balloon. An impacted crop will usually be smaller than sour crop, but very hard. Once you know which one it is, I can let you know what I do for mine.

smell her beak for faint sour odor,sounds like sour crop...my Comber had same symptons last year and did research found a solution for this,take a baby syringe fill with olive oil gently push the oil down into her crop massage it for 5 mins then tip her upside down a few times and should expel any contents within mins she may take twice to empty the contents then feed plain organic yogurt little at a time and she should feel better once done and able to go potty...I kept my girl in the house in a cage til she was fully recovered To prevent this from happening I started giving them organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar once a month 1 tbls for every quart of water

It could be sour crop or crop bound. You need to take their food out at night and then check them first thing in the morning before they have a chance to eat something. Crop should be small or empty. If it's still as large as the night before, it is either sour crop or crop bound. There are very many topics on both here. I would do a search to look for discussions on how to treat it. If its crop bound, sometimes there isn't anything you can do, but surgery.
Are your young birds on grass or hay? Do they have access to chick grit? If they have access to grass or hay, I would remove them from that. Especially hay. If they have no grit available, get some. Not enough feeders and raising them on hay, or maybe even straw, usually results in a bird or two getting crop bound. Reason being, they are low on the totem pole and get chased from the feeders so they eat the trash in the yard. Or even boredom could cause them to eat stuff they shouldn't. Hay or long grass will ball up in the crop and cause them to become crop bound and starve to death. Very hard to resolve crop bound birds. It's best to take measures to avoid it. Use large pine shavings, extra feeding stations and have grit available.

They started on shavings but now I've moved outside there on sand/dirt, when it first started her crop was full off Hot water it spewed out since then she's been in house with now a second one I've given yogurt sugar water electrolights hurts my heart neither bird will eat or drink or poop so I'm baffled they just go to sleep :(

Frosty1

Do not try feeding them, it'll only add to the problem.

Make sure they drink lots though, and if wanted give them a tiny bit of yoghurt, it will kill most bad germs and help slow down the intoxication process.

I give my hens that get sour crop the yeast infection cream for women, Walmart's brand. The active ingredient is miconazole. I give 2-3 pea size amounts twice a day for 5-7 days. Sometimes less, sometimes more depending on how bad the case is. Clears it right up, which it should, because sour crop is basically a yeast infection in their crop because something held up digestion. Be careful with yogurt, chickens really aren't meant to have dairy & too much can cause diarrhea.

I was baffled too when Comber went through the same thing...found a great solution for this sour crop take a baby syringe fill with olive oil and squirt down into her crop massage it for 5 mins tip her upside down a few times then she will expel the contents maybe more than once,then give her a little bit of plain organic yogurt once problem is resolved she needs a couple of days to recover she will start eating and drinking again.You can buy unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar from health food store this will prevent sour crop from returning,just add 1 tbls to every quart of water,havent had any problems since then...I give my girls all natural ingredients for other problems like sage to kill salmonilla oregano and garlic for parasites honey molasses all good for them and look up what they can and cannot eat all this information is very helpful

Last edited:
Just a warning here....... Squirting oil down a chicken's throat is probably the best way I can think of to get oil down the trachea straight into the lungs. It only takes a drop or two to cause aspiration pneumonia.

Causing a chicken to vomit up oil that was put down his throat is probably the second best way to cause aspiration pneumonia.

There is NO treatment for aspiration pneumonia.

I often give my chickens liquids orally. Oil for impacted crop, dewormers, Epsom salt flushes if needed. The key is not to squirt it fast & in the back of their mouths. Just enough for them to swallow at a time. Takes forever, but I'm not comfortable with a feeding tube. I have also made a couple with sour crop vomit as a last resort. Again, I only hold them upside down 1 or 2 seconds, then back upright for a while. I hate doing it, but sometimes certain things are needed.

Back
Top Bottom